Woolsey was the representative for California’s 6th congressional district and was a Democrat. She served from 1993 to 2012.
Woolsey is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2013 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Woolsey sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 4, 2007 to Jan 1, 2013. See full analysis methodology.
Woolsey was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 793 (112th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 12781 Sir Francis Drake Boulevard in Inverness, California, as the “Specialist Jake Robert Velloza Post ...
- H.R. 606 (109th): Angel Island Immigration Station Restoration and Preservation Act
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Woolsey sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Education (23%) Labor and Employment (21%) International Affairs (13%) Government Operations and Politics (11%) Health (10%) Economics and Public Finance (10%) Environmental Protection (7%) Armed Forces and National Security (6%)
Some of Woolsey’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6409 (112th): Private Sector Whistleblower Protection Streamlining Act of 2012
- H.Res. 573 (112th): Supporting the goals and ideals of National Women’s History Month.
- H.R. 3178 (112th): Employee Misclassification Prevention Act
- H.R. 3151 (112th): Domestic Violence Leave Act
- H.R. 2607 (112th): HELP Separated Children Act
- H.R. 2346 (112th): Balancing Act of 2011
- H.R. 1903 (112th): 21st Century STEM for Girls and Underrepresented Minorities Act
From Jan 1993 to Jan 2013, Woolsey missed 573 of 13,431 roll call votes, which is 4.3%. This is worse than the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 2013. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: