Read our 2016 Report Card for Thornberry.
Our unique analysis of the bills Thornberry has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Thornberry is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Mac Thornberry sits on the following committees:
Thornberry was the primary sponsor of 8 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 393: To provide for an exception to a limitation against appointment of persons as Secretary of Defense within seven years of relief from active duty as a regular commissioned ...
- H.R. 4909 (114th): National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2017
- H.R. 4741 (114th): Acquisition Agility Act
- H.R. 1735 (114th): National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016
- H.R. 1904 (113th): Oversight of Sensitive Military Operations Act
- H.R. 4505 (111th): To enable State homes to furnish nursing home care to parents any of whose children died while serving in the Armed Forces.
- H.J.Res. 72 (106th): Granting the consent of the Congress to the Red River Boundary Compact.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Thornberry sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Thornberry’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2807: To amend title 10, United States Code, to require congressional notification concerning sensitive ...
- H.R. 2810: National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2018
- H.R. 2621: Strengthening Security in the Indo-Asia-Pacific Act
- H.R. 2511: Defense Acquisition Streamlining and Transparency Act
- H.R. 1261: Federal Regulatory Certainty for Water Act
- H.Res. 80: Providing amounts for the expenses of the Committee on Armed Services in the ...
- H.R. 428: Red River Gradient Boundary Survey Act
|Thornberry’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 2040: Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act
Sep 28, 2016. Passed 348/77.
After the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, a federal commission was created to fact-find as much information as possible about the planning, funding, and carrying-out of the attacks. The final report ran more than 500 pages, but much intrigue has centered around 28 pages redacted ...
H.R. 5147: Bathrooms Accessible in Every Situation (BABIES) Act
Sep 21, 2016. Passed 389/34.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 4348 (112th): MAP-21
Jun 29, 2012. Passed 373/52.
The Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act, MAP-21, is a funding and authorization bill to govern United States federal surface transportation spending. It was passed by Congress on June 29, 2012 and President Barack Obama signed it on July 6. The vote ...
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 2965 (111th): Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repeal Act of 2010
Jul 8, 2009. Passed 386/41.
The Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Act of 2010 (H.R. 2965, S. 4023) is a landmark United States federal statute enacted in December 2010 that established a process for ending the Don't ask, don't tell (DADT) policy (10 U.S.C. § 654), thus allowing gays, lesbians, ...
H.R. 31 (111th): Lumbee Recognition Act
Jun 3, 2009. Passed 240/179.
From Jan 1995 to Jun 2017, Thornberry missed 140 of 15,162 roll call votes, which is 0.9%. This is better than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 5 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: