Hassan is the junior senator from New Hampshire and is a Democrat. She has served since Jan 3, 2017. Hassan is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Hassan.
Hassan is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Hassan has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Aug 7, 2022. See full analysis methodology.
Margaret “Maggie” Hassan sits on the following committees:
Hassan was the primary sponsor of 10 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 1543: STANDUP Act of 2021
- S. 2585: State and Local Cybersecurity Improvement Act
- S. 164: Advancing Education on Biosimilars Act of 2021
- S. 4871 (116th): Oversight.gov Authorization Act of 2020
- S. 4495 (116th): Automatic Cash Assistance Act
- S. 411 (116th): Counter Threats Advisory Board Act of 2019
- S. 315 (116th): DHS Cyber Hunt and Incident Response Teams Act of 2019
Does 10 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Hassan sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (26%) Taxation (17%) Armed Forces and National Security (14%) Education (13%) Government Operations and Politics (13%) Crime and Law Enforcement (7%) Science, Technology, Communications (6%) Finance and Financial Sector (4%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Hassan recently introduced the following legislation:
- S. 4765: A bill to address recommendations made to Congress by the Government Accountability Office …
- S. 4712: Occupational Therapy Mental Health Parity Act
- S. 4701: Small Businesses Cybersecurity Act
- S. 4739: Increasing Access to Dental Insurance Act
- S. 4654: Disaster Management Costs Modernization Act
- S. 4675: Improving Early Childhood Data Systems Act
- S. 4592: Quantum Computing Cybersecurity Preparedness Act
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2017 to Aug 2022, Hassan missed 9 of 2,171 roll call votes, which is 0.4%. This is better than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: