Read our 2016 Report Card for Cantwell.
Our unique analysis of the bills Cantwell has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into her position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Cantwell is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Maria Cantwell sits on the following committees:
- Ranking Member, Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet
- Member, Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
- Member, Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety and Security
- Senate Committee on Finance
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Cantwell was the primary sponsor of 12 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 53: Tsunami Warning, Education, and Research Act of 2017
- S. 3028 (114th): Daniel J. Evans Olympic National Park Wilderness Act
- S. 2430 (114th): Travel Facilitation and Safety Act of 2015
- S. 2326 (114th): Billy Frank Jr. Tell Your Story Act
- S. 1487 (112th): Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Business Travel Cards Act of 2011
- S. 636 (112th): A bill to provide the Quileute Indian Tribe Tsunami and Flood Protection, and for other purposes.
- S. 2906 (111th): A bill to amend the Act of August 9, 1955, to modify a provision relating to leases involving certain Indian tribes.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Cantwell sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Public Lands and Natural Resources (27%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (21%) Taxation (17%) Native Americans (8%) Energy (8%) Armed Forces and National Security (6%) Health (6%) Commerce (6%)
Some of Cantwell’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 995: Spokane Tribe of Indians of the Spokane Reservation Equitable Compensation Act
- S. 800: Coal Cleanup Taxpayer Protection Act
- S. 714: Yakima River Basin Water Enhancement Project Phase III Act of 2017
- S. 713: Mountains to Sound Greenway National Heritage Area Act
- S. 698: National Landslide Preparedness Act
- S. 624: A bill to allow servicemembers to terminate their cable, satellite television, and Internet ...
- S. 627: Maritime Washington National Heritage Area Act
|Cantwell’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 612: WIIN Act
Dec 10, 2016. Motion Agreed to 78/21.
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
S. 2328: National Sea Grant College Program Amendments Act of 2015
Jun 29, 2016. Motion Agreed to 68/30.
The Puerto Rico Oversight, Management, and Economic Stability Act (PROMESA) —designated as Pub.L. 114–187 and originally as H.R. 5278— is a federal law enacted by the United States Congress that establishes an oversight board, a process for restructuring debt, and expedited procedures for approving critical ...
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 24, 2015. Motion Agreed to 60/38.
This was the Senate's final vote on Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. The House had ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010), also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act, was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
On the Nomination PN959: Ben S. Bernanke, of New Jersey, to be Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System for a term of four ...
Jan 28, 2010. Nomination Confirmed 70/30.
S.J.Res. 5 (111th): A joint resolution relating to the disapproval of obligations under the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008.
Jan 15, 2009. Joint Resolution Defeated 42/52.
H.R. 1424 (110th): Paul Wellstone Mental Health and Addiction Equity Act of 2007
Oct 1, 2008. Bill Passed 74/25.
This is the Senate's October 2008 Economic Stimulus Relief Bill. This bill was originally introduced in March 2007 and passed the House as the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008. In October 2008, it was co-opted as the so-called "vehicle" to pass the relief bill ...
From Jan 2001 to May 2017, Cantwell missed 30 of 5,085 roll call votes, which is 0.6%. This is better than the median of 1.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: