Read our 2017 Report Card for Cantwell.
Cantwell is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Cantwell has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Maria Cantwell sits on the following committees:
- Ranking Member, Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet
- Member, Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
- Member, Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety and Security
- Senate Committee on Finance
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Cantwell was the primary sponsor of 13 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 61: A bill to remove the sunset provision of section 203 of Public Law 105-384 and for other purposes.
- S. 53: Tsunami Warning, Education, and Research Act of 2017
- S. 3028 (114th): Daniel J. Evans Olympic National Park Wilderness Act
- S. 2430 (114th): Travel Facilitation and Safety Act of 2015
- S. 2326 (114th): Billy Frank Jr. Tell Your Story Act
- S. 1487 (112th): Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Business Travel Cards Act of 2011
- S. 636 (112th): A bill to provide the Quileute Indian Tribe Tsunami and Flood Protection, and for other purposes.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Cantwell sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Cantwell’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2445: A bill to provide for the modernization of the electric grid, and for ...
- S. 2444: A bill to provide for enhanced energy grid security.
- S. 2440: A bill to combat the opioid epidemic by reforming existing laws and providing ...
- S. 2447: A bill to accelerate smart building development, and for other purposes.
- S. 2449: A bill to require the Secretary of Energy to establish the 21st Century ...
- S. 2290: Wildfire Management Technology Advancement Act of 2018
- S. 2217: FUTURE of Artificial Intelligence Act of 2017
|Cantwell’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1892: Further Extension of Continuing Appropriations Act, 2018; Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2018, the SUSTAIN Care Act of 2018; Family First Prevention Services Act.; Honoring Hometown ...
Feb 9, 2018. Motion Agreed to 71/28.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of funding for the federal government through March 23, 2018, to avert a government shutdown that would have occurred on February 9, 2018 had this bill not been enacted. The bill was introduced as the Honoring Hometown Heroes ...
S. 612: WIIN Act
Dec 10, 2016. Motion Agreed to 78/21.
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 24, 2015. Motion Agreed to 60/38.
This was the Senate's final vote on Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. The House had ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010), also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act, was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
On the Nomination PN959: Ben S. Bernanke, of New Jersey, to be Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System for a term of four ...
Jan 28, 2010. Nomination Confirmed 70/30.
S.J.Res. 5 (111th): A joint resolution relating to the disapproval of obligations under the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008.
Jan 15, 2009. Joint Resolution Defeated 42/52.
H.R. 1424 (110th): Paul Wellstone Mental Health and Addiction Equity Act of 2007
Oct 1, 2008. Bill Passed 74/25.
This is the Senate's October 2008 Economic Stimulus Relief Bill. This bill was originally introduced in March 2007 and passed the House as the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008. In October 2008, it was co-opted as the so-called "vehicle" to pass the relief bill ...
From Jan 2001 to Feb 2018, Cantwell missed 31 of 5,312 roll call votes, which is 0.6%. This is better than the median of 1.3% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: