Read our 2016 Report Card for Cantwell.
Our unique analysis of the bills Cantwell has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into her position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Cantwell is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Maria Cantwell sits on the following committees:
- Ranking Member, Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet
- Member, Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
- Member, Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety and Security
- Senate Committee on Finance
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Cantwell was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 3028: Daniel J. Evans Olympic National Park Wilderness Act
- S. 2430: Travel Facilitation and Safety Act of 2015
- S. 2326: Billy Frank Jr. Tell Your Story Act
- S. 1487 (112th): Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Business Travel Cards Act of 2011
- S. 636 (112th): A bill to provide the Quileute Indian Tribe Tsunami and Flood Protection, and for other purposes.
- S. 2906 (111th): A bill to amend the Act of August 9, 1955, to modify a provision relating to leases involving certain Indian tribes.
- S. 1609 (111th): Longline Catcher Processor Subsector Single Fishery Cooperative Act
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Cantwell sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Foreign Trade and International Finance (24%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (22%) Taxation (18%) Energy (9%) Commerce (7%) Native Americans (7%) Transportation and Public Works (6%) Armed Forces and National Security (6%)
Some of Cantwell’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 102: A bill to direct the Federal Communications Commission to commence proceedings related to ...
- S. 61: A bill to remove the sunset provision of section 203 of Public Law ...
- S. 53: A bill to authorize and strengthen the tsunami detection, forecast, warning, research, and ...
- S. 3365: A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to improve the ...
- S. 3237: Affordable Housing Credit Improvement Act of 2016
- S. 3066: Coal Cleanup Taxpayer Protection Act
- S. 3059: Marine Mammal Research and Response Act of 2016
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Cantwell’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 612: WIIN Act
Dec 10, 2016. Motion Agreed to 78/21.
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 24, 2015. Motion Agreed to 60/38.
This was the Senate's final vote on Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. The House had ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010, also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act), was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
On the Nomination PN959: Ben S. Bernanke, of New Jersey, to be Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System for a term of four ...
Jan 28, 2010. Nomination Confirmed 70/30.
S.J.Res. 5 (111th): A joint resolution relating to the disapproval of obligations under the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008.
Jan 15, 2009. Joint Resolution Defeated 42/52.
From Jan 2001 to Jan 2017, Cantwell missed 29 of 4,982 roll call votes, which is 0.6%. This is better than the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: