Read our 2017 Report Card for Cantwell.
Cantwell is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Cantwell has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Maria Cantwell sits on the following committees:
- Ranking Member, Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet
- Member, Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
- Member, Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety and Security
- Senate Committee on Finance
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Cantwell was the primary sponsor of 13 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 61: A bill to remove the sunset provision of section 203 of Public Law 105-384 and for other purposes.
- S. 53: Tsunami Warning, Education, and Research Act of 2017
- S. 3028 (114th): Daniel J. Evans Olympic National Park Wilderness Act
- S. 2326 (114th): Billy Frank Jr. Tell Your Story Act
- S. 1487 (112th): Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Business Travel Cards Act of 2011
- S. 636 (112th): A bill to provide the Quileute Indian Tribe Tsunami and Flood Protection, and for other purposes.
- S. 1609 (111th): Longline Catcher Processor Subsector Single Fishery Cooperative Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Cantwell sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Cantwell’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3387: A bill to restore administrative law judges to the competitive service.
- S. 3333: Roadless Area Conservation Act of 2018
- S.Res. 596: A resolution recognizing the 29th anniversary of the Tribal Canoe Journey of the ...
- S. 3122: High School CODES Act
- S. 3100: Mountains to Sound Greenway National Heritage Area Act
- S. 3060: A bill to repeal section 2141 of the Revised Statutes to remove the ...
- S. 2887: Major General Tim Lowenberg National Guard Cyber Defenders Act
|Cantwell’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1892: Further Extension of Continuing Appropriations Act, 2018; Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2018, the SUSTAIN Care Act of 2018; Family First Prevention Services Act.; Honoring Hometown ...
Feb 9, 2018. Motion Agreed to 71/28.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of funding for the federal government through March 23, 2018, to avert a government shutdown that would have occurred on February 9, 2018 had this bill not been enacted. The bill was introduced as the Honoring Hometown Heroes ...
S. 612: WIIN Act
Dec 10, 2016. Motion Agreed to 78/21.
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 24, 2015. Motion Agreed to 60/38.
This was the Senate's final vote on Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. The House had ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010), also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act, was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
On the Nomination PN959: Ben S. Bernanke, of New Jersey, to be Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System for a term of four ...
Jan 28, 2010. Nomination Confirmed 70/30.
S.J.Res. 5 (111th): A joint resolution relating to the disapproval of obligations under the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008.
Jan 15, 2009. Joint Resolution Defeated 42/52.
H.R. 1424 (110th): Paul Wellstone Mental Health and Addiction Equity Act of 2007
Oct 1, 2008. Bill Passed 74/25.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of economic stimulus relief during the 2008 financial crisis as well as other unrelated provisions. It was the Senate's October 2008 plan, and it became law. The bill contains sections for: * Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 ...
From Jan 2001 to Sep 2018, Cantwell missed 31 of 5,488 roll call votes, which is 0.6%. This is better than the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: