Our unique analysis of the bills Biaggi sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 1988. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Biaggi is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Biaggi was the primary sponsor of 32 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 1430 (100th): Merchant Marine Decorations and Medals Act
- H.J.Res. 313 (100th): A joint resolution designating the month of August 1987 as “National Child Support Enforcement Month”.
- H.R. 4576 (99th): A bill to designate the United States Attorney’s Building for the Southern District of New York as the “Silvio James Mollo Federal Building”.
- H.R. 5016 (99th): A bill for the relief of Sueng Ho Jang and Sueng Il Jang.
- H.R. 3132 (99th): Law Enforcement Officers Protection Act of 1985
- H.R. 2453 (99th): Older Americans Act Amendments of 1986
- H.R. 4399 (99th): A bill to designate the Federal Building located in Jamaica, Queens, New York, as the Joseph P. Addabbo Federal Building.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Biaggi sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Transportation and Public Works (17%) Crime and Law Enforcement (16%) Social Welfare (15%) Government Operations and Politics (14%) Taxation (11%) Economics and Public Finance (11%) Labor and Employment (9%) Private Legislation (7%)
Some of Biaggi’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5118 (100th): A bill to amend section 311 the Older Americans Act of 1965 ...
- H.Con.Res. 323 (100th): A concurrent resolution expressing the sense of the Congress that the decision ...
- H.Con.Res. 297 (100th): A concurrent resolution to call for an end to the use of ...
- H.R. 3135 (100th): Limitation of Liability for Maritime Claims Act
- H.R. 2946 (100th): A bill to amend title XVI of the Social Security Act to ...
- H.R. 2661 (100th): A bill to clarify merchant seamen citizenship requirements for U.S.-flag vessels.
- H.J.Res. 313 (100th): A joint resolution designating the month of August 1987 as “National Child ...
From Jan 1969 to Aug 1988, Biaggi missed 2,069 of 9,613 roll call votes, which is 21.5%. This is much worse than the median of 5.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Aug 1988. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congress-Legislators, a community project collecting election information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills