Foley was the representative for Florida’s 16th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1995 to 2006.
Foley is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2006 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Foley sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2001 to Dec 8, 2006. See full analysis methodology.
Foley was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3830 (109th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 130 East Marion Avenue in Punta Gorda, Florida, as the “U.S. Cleveland Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 1134 (109th): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide for the proper tax treatment of certain disaster mitigation payments.
- H.R. 4014 (107th): Rare Diseases Orphan Product Development Act of 2002
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Foley sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (19%) Commerce (14%) Law (12%) Taxation (12%) Crime and Law Enforcement (11%) Labor and Employment (11%) Economics and Public Finance (11%) Science, Technology, Communications (10%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Foley recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.Con.Res. 471 (109th): Congratulating The Professional Golfers’ Association of America on its 90th anniversary and …
- H.R. 5773 (109th): Child Fingerprints Safekeeping Act of 2006
- H.R. 5758 (109th): To amend title 38, United States Code, to provide that World War …
- H.R. 5749 (109th): Internet Stopping Adults Facilitating the Exploitation of Today’s Youth Act (SAFETY) of …
- H.Res. 729 (109th): Supporting National Tourism Week.
- H.R. 4905 (109th): Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act
- H.R. 4813 (109th): United States Security Improvement Act of 2006
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 1995 to Sep 2006, Foley missed 164 of 7,145 roll call votes, which is 2.3%. This is on par with the median of 2.9% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Sep 2006. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: