Read our 2016 Report Card for Kirk.
Our unique analysis of the bills Kirk sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the Senate in 2016. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Kirk is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Kirk was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- S. 1004 (114th): Veterans Day Moment of Silence Act
- S. 2806 (114th): Military Construction, Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2017
- S. 2291 (114th): VA Patient Protection Act of 2015
- S. 575 (114th): HERO Act of 2015
- S. 2208 (113th): Money Remittances Improvement Act of 2014
- S. 1261 (112th): Congressional Integrity and Pension Forfeiture Act of 2011
- H.R. 304 (111th): To award a congressional gold medal to Joseph Barnett Kirsner, M.D., Ph.D., in recognition of his many outstanding contributions to the Nation.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Kirk sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (23%) Armed Forces and National Security (17%) International Affairs (16%) Taxation (11%) Finance and Financial Sector (10%) Education (8%) Crime and Law Enforcement (7%) Transportation and Public Works (7%)
Some of Kirk’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S.Res. 618 (114th): A resolution commending and congratulating the Chicago Cubs on their 2016 World ...
- S.Res. 604 (114th): A resolution expressing support for the designation of November 2016 as “National ...
- S. 3461 (114th): Securities and Exchange Commission Overpayment Credit Act
- S. 3407 (114th): MISSION ZERO Act
- S. 3449 (114th): TAAR Act
- S. 3444 (114th): Education Support Professional Family Medical Leave Act
- S.Con.Res. 54 (114th): A concurrent resolution expressing the sense of Congress and reaffirming longstanding United ...
From Nov 2010 to Dec 2016, Kirk missed 349 of 1,693 roll call votes, which is 20.6%. This is much worse than the median of 1.8% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Dec 2016. ProPublica has tracked 20 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: