Read our 2019 Report Card for Pocan.
Pocan is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Pocan has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Jan 27, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Mark Pocan sits on the following committees:
Pocan was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2367: Lifetime Income Disclosure Act
- H.R. 2277: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1715 Linnerud Drive in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, as the “Fire Captain Cory Barr Post Office Building”.
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Pocan sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Education (25%) Labor and Employment (21%) Taxation (15%) Government Operations and Politics (10%) Agriculture and Food (8%) Armed Forces and National Security (8%) Science, Technology, Communications (6%) Commerce (6%)
Some of Pocan’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5424: Protect Broadband Funding Act
- H.R. 5104: Respect Graduate Student Workers Act
- H.R. 4965: LEARNS Act
- H.R. 4843: Susan Harwood Training Grant Program Authorization Act
- H.Res. 602: Commending the cooperative business model and the businesses, employees, and practitioners nationally and ...
- H.R. 4436: National Poverty Research Center Authorization Act
- H.R. 3848: Stop Wall Street Looting Act
From Jan 2013 to Jan 2020, Pocan missed 193 of 4,467 roll call votes, which is 4.3%. This is worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: