Read our 2020 Report Card for Pocan.
Pocan is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Pocan has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jul 29, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Mark Pocan sits on the following committees:
Pocan was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2277 (116th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1715 Linnerud Drive in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, as the “Fire Captain Cory Barr Post Office ...
- H.R. 2367 (116th): Lifetime Income Disclosure Act
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Pocan sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Education (25%) Labor and Employment (20%) Government Operations and Politics (14%) Taxation (12%) Agriculture and Food (10%) Armed Forces and National Security (7%) Commerce (7%) Science, Technology, Communications (5%)
Some of Pocan’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3946: Pell Grant Preservation and Expansion Act of 2021
- H.R. 3285: 21st Century President Act
- H.R. 2993: Educational Partnerships for Innovation in Communities Program Authorization Act
- H.R. 2897: Improving Training for School Food Service Workers Act
- H.R. 2804: Debt-Free College Act of 2021
- H.R. 2745: End Outsourcing Act
- H.R. 2425: National Poverty Research Center Authorization Act
From Jan 2013 to Jul 2021, Pocan missed 196 of 4,947 roll call votes, which is 4.0%. This is worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: