Read our 2017 Report Card for McSally.
McSally is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills McSally has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Martha McSally sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Homeland Security
- Chair, Subcommittee on Border and Maritime Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Emergency Preparedness, Response, and Communications
- House Committee on Armed Services
McSally was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2052: PRIVATE Act
- H.R. 4336 (114th): An act to amend title 38, United States Code, to provide for the inurnment in Arlington National Cemetery of the cremated remains of certain persons whose service ...
- H.R. 2835 (114th): Border Jobs for Veterans Act of 2015
- H.R. 3722 (114th): Mental Health and Safe Communities Act of 2015
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
McSally sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Emergency Management (29%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (20%) Immigration (17%) Armed Forces and National Security (15%) Government Operations and Politics (5%) Environmental Protection (5%) Animals (5%) Taxation (5%)
Some of McSally’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5206: OBIM Authorization Act of 2018
- H.R. 5207: IAP Authorization Act of 2018
- H.R. 4852: Pay Our Protectors Not Our Politicians Act of 2018
- H.R. 4730: Clean Air Contingency Measures Act of 2018
- H.R. 4427: Protecting America and American Workers Act
- H.R. 3551: C-TPAT Reauthorization Act of 2017
- H.R. 3436: Southwest Border Security Threat Assessment Act of 2017
|McSally’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 4667: Making further supplemental appropriations for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2018, for disaster assistance for Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria, and calendar year 2017 wildfires, ...
Dec 21, 2017. Passed 251/169.
H.R. 4889: Kelsey Smith Act
May 23, 2016. Failed 229/158.
H.R. 308: Keep the Promise Act of 2015
Nov 16, 2015. Failed 263/146.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
From Jan 2015 to Apr 2018, McSally missed 16 of 2,182 roll call votes, which is 0.7%. This is better than the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: