Esch was the representative for Michigan’s 2nd congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1967 to 1976.
Esch is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1976 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Esch sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Esch sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Esch’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 15338 (94th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to provide ...
- H.R. 14022 (94th): A bill to provide for certain payments to be made to local ...
- H.R. 13912 (94th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to exempt ...
- H.R. 13392 (94th): A bill to clarify the jurisdiction of certain courts with respect to ...
- H.R. 11597 (94th): A bill to amend title 18 of the United States Code to ...
- H.R. 11127 (94th): A bill to amend title 23, United States Code, relating to the ...
- H.R. 10461 (94th): A bill to amend section 214 of the Internal Revenue Code of ...
From Jan 1967 to Oct 1976, Esch missed 1,034 of 3,921 roll call votes, which is 26.4%. This is much worse than the median of 8.7% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1976. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills