He was previously the representative for Pennsylvania’s 17th congressional district as a Democrat from 2013 to 2018.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Cartwright.
Cartwright is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Cartwright has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Jun 21, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Matthew Cartwright sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Appropriations
- Vice Chair, Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Financial Services and General Government
- Member, Subcommittee on Military Construction, Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- House Committee on Natural Resources
Cartwright was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3122: Veterans Care Financial Protection Act of 2017
- H.R. 4963: Amy, Vicky, and Andy Child Pornography Victim Assistance Act of 2018
- H.R. 1701 (115th): EGO Act
- H.R. 4904 (114th): MEGABYTE Act of 2016
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Cartwright sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (18%) Armed Forces and National Security (16%) Education (15%) Government Operations and Politics (14%) Environmental Protection (12%) Energy (12%) Transportation and Public Works (7%) Finance and Financial Sector (7%)
Some of Cartwright’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3383: To amend title 49, United States Code, with respect to minimum levels of ...
- H.R. 3120: To require the Secretary of Energy to establish an energy efficiency materials pilot ...
- H.R. 2974: Youth Financial Learning Act
- H.R. 2907: Wounded Warrior Research Enhancement Act
- H.R. 2748: Safeguarding America’s Future and Environment Act
- H.R. 2487: Wounded Warrior Workforce Enhancement Act
- H.Res. 341: Expressing support for the designation of May as “National Bladder Cancer Awareness Month”.
From Jan 2013 to Jun 2019, Cartwright missed 71 of 4,137 roll call votes, which is 1.7%. This is on par with the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: