Rinaldo, a Republican, was the representative for New Jersey's 7th congressional district from 1983 to 1992.
He was previously the representative for New Jersey's 12th congressional district (1973-1982).
Rinaldo is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1992 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Rinaldo sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Rinaldo was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.J.Res. 458 (96th): A joint resolution to authorize and request the President to issue a proclamation designating December 18, 1979, “National Unity Day”.
- H.R. 3978 (96th): A bill to amend the Federal Trade Commission Act to exempt savings and loan institutions from the application of certain provisions contained in such Act.
- H.R. 10438 (93rd): Northeast Region Rail Services Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Rinaldo sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (17%) Social Welfare (16%) Taxation (14%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (14%) Government Operations and Politics (11%) Crime and Law Enforcement (10%) Finance and Financial Sector (10%) Environmental Protection (8%)
Some of Rinaldo’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5295 (102nd): Aircraft Noise Research and Abatement Act of 1992
- H.R. 4581 (102nd): Third World Development and Threat Reduction Act of 1992
- H.R. 3892 (102nd): Adopted Children Health Insurance Fairness Act of 1991
- H.R. 3833 (102nd): Older Americans’ Freedom to Work Act of 1991
- H.R. 3834 (102nd): To amend title II of the Social Security Act to increase the ...
- H.R. 3586 (102nd): Federal Enterprise Oversight Act of 1991
- H.J.Res. 331 (102nd): Approving the extension of nondiscriminatory treatment with respect to the products of ...
From Jan 1973 to Oct 1992, Rinaldo missed 324 of 10,550 roll call votes, which is 3.1%. This is on par with the median of 4.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1992. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills