Our unique analysis of the bills Hinchey sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 2013. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Hinchey is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Hinchey was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3234 (108th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 14 Chestnut Street in Liberty, New York, as the “Ben R. Gerow Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 3030 (106th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 757 Warren Road in Ithaca, New York, as the “Matthew F. McHugh Post Office”.
- H.R. 2302 (106th): To designate the building of the United States Postal Service located at 307 Main Street in Johnson City, New York, as the “James W. McCabe, Sr. Post ...
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Hinchey sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (21%) Finance and Financial Sector (16%) Government Operations and Politics (14%) Taxation (13%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (11%) Law (9%) Emergency Management (9%) Labor and Employment (7%)
Some of Hinchey’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4457 (112th): To require the Commodity Futures Trading Commission to take certain actions to ...
- H.R. 3299 (112th): To amend title XXVII of the Public Health Service Act to apply ...
- H.R. 2488 (112th): SERVE Act of 2011
- H.R. 2451 (112th): Glass-Steagall Restoration Act of 2011
- H.R. 2452 (112th): Hudson River Valley Special Resource Study Act
- H.R. 2423 (112th): Buy American Enhancement Act of 2011
- H.R. 2328 (112th): End Excessive Oil Speculation Now Act of 2011
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Hinchey’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
S. 365 (112th): Budget Control Act of 2011
Aug 1, 2011. Passed 269/161.
The Budget Control Act of 2011 (Pub.L. 112–25, S. 365, 125 Stat. 240, enacted August 2, 2011) is a federal statute in the United States that was signed into law by President Barack Obama on August 2, 2011. The Act brought conclusion to the United ...
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.Res. 1031 (110th): Providing for the adoption of the resolution (H. Res. 895) establishing within the House of Representatives an ...
Mar 11, 2008. Passed 229/182.
H.R. 3087 (110th): A bill to require the Secretary of Defense to submit to Congress reports on the status of ...
Oct 2, 2007. Passed 377/46.
H.R. 1908 (110th): Patent Reform Act of 2007
Sep 7, 2007. Passed 220/175.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 1993 to Jan 2013, Hinchey missed 879 of 13,431 roll call votes, which is 6.5%. This is much worse than the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 2013. ProPublica has tracked 1 explanation for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: