Our unique analysis of the bills Hinchey sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 2013. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Hinchey is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Hinchey was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3234 (108th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 14 Chestnut Street in Liberty, New York, as the “Ben R. Gerow Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 3030 (106th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 757 Warren Road in Ithaca, New York, as the “Matthew F. McHugh Post Office”.
- H.R. 2302 (106th): To designate the building of the United States Postal Service located at 307 Main Street in Johnson City, New York, as the “James W. McCabe, Sr. Post ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Hinchey sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (21%) Finance and Financial Sector (16%) Government Operations and Politics (14%) Taxation (13%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (11%) Emergency Management (9%) Law (9%) Economics and Public Finance (7%)
Some of Hinchey’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4457 (112th): To require the Commodity Futures Trading Commission to take certain actions to ...
- H.R. 3299 (112th): To amend title XXVII of the Public Health Service Act to apply ...
- H.R. 2488 (112th): SERVE Act of 2011
- H.R. 2451 (112th): Glass-Steagall Restoration Act of 2011
- H.R. 2452 (112th): Hudson River Valley Special Resource Study Act
- H.R. 2423 (112th): Buy American Enhancement Act of 2011
- H.R. 2328 (112th): End Excessive Oil Speculation Now Act of 2011
From Jan 1993 to Jan 2013, Hinchey missed 879 of 13,431 roll call votes, which is 6.5%. This is much worse than the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 2013. ProPublica has tracked 1 explanation for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: