Read our 2016 Report Card for Waters.
Our unique analysis of the bills Waters has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into her position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Waters is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Maxine Waters sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Financial Services
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Capital Markets, Securities, and Investment
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Housing and Insurance
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Monetary Policy and Trade
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Terrorism and Illicit Finance
Waters was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3827 (114th): Project-Based Voucher Improvement Act of 2015
- H.R. 5569 (111th): National Flood Insurance Program Extension Act of 2010
- H.R. 4573 (111th): Haiti Debt Relief and Earthquake Recovery Act of 2010
- H.R. 1116 (111th): Honest FHA Originator Act of 2009
- H.R. 289 (109th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 8200 South Vermont Avenue in Los Angeles, California, as the Sergeant First Class John Marshall ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Waters sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (22%) Crime and Law Enforcement (16%) Housing and Community Development (16%) Finance and Financial Sector (13%) Education (11%) Transportation and Public Works (10%) International Affairs (8%) Government Operations and Politics (5%)
Some of Waters’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3519: Bad Actor Disqualification Act of 2017
- H.R. 3357: Military Consumer Protection Act
- H.Res. 463: Supporting the goals and ideals of National Clinicians HIV/AIDS Testing and Awareness Day, ...
- H.R. 3295: End SHELLs Act
- H.Res. 442: Of inquiry directing the Secretary of the Treasury to provide certain documents in ...
- H.R. 3160: Public Housing Tenant Protection and Reinvestment Act of 2017
- H.R. 2972: Alzheimer’s Caregiver Support Act
|Waters’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 4127: Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016
Dec 1, 2015. Passed 364/58.
H.Res. 495: Providing for consideration of the Senate amendment to the bill (H.R. 1314) to amend the Internal Revenue Code ...
Oct 28, 2015. Passed 392/37.
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 1991 to Jul 2017, Waters missed 1,312 of 17,316 roll call votes, which is 7.6%. This is much worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 4 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: