Our unique analysis of the bills Cleland sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the Senate in 2002. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Cleland is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Cleland was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- S. 3077 (107th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 206 South Main Street in Glennville, Georgia, as the “Michael Lee Woodcock Post ...
- S. 1184 (107th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2853 Candler Road in Decatur, Georgia, as the “Earl T. Shinhoster Post Office”.
- S. 3135 (106th): Veterans’ Oral History Project Act
- S.J.Res. 24 (106th): A joint resolution conferring status as an honorary veteran of the United States Armed Forces on Zachary Fisher
- S. 388 (106th): A bill to authorize the establishment of a disaster mitigation pilot program in the Small Business Administration.
- S. 347 (105th): An Act to designate the Federal building located at 61 Forsyth Street SW., in Atlanta, Georgia, as the “Sam Nunn Atlanta Federal Center.”
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Cleland sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (24%) Economics and Public Finance (13%) Armed Forces and National Security (12%) Labor and Employment (11%) Families (10%) Commerce (10%) Law (9%) Science, Technology, Communications (9%)
Some of Cleland’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3077 (107th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service ...
- S. 2839 (107th): Children’s Electronic Access Safety Enhancement (CEASE) Act
- S.Res. 314 (107th): A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate that a commemorative postage ...
- S. 2802 (107th): Military Families Tax Fairness Act
- S. 2706 (107th): Aid to Tobacco-Dependent Communities Act of 2002
- S. 2627 (107th): A bill to protect marine species off the coast of Georgia.
- S. 2492 (107th): Federal Agency Protection of Privacy Act
From Jan 1997 to Nov 2002, Cleland missed 7 of 1,917 roll call votes, which is 0.4%. This is better than the median of 1.8% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Nov 2002. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: