Our unique analysis of the bills Hirono has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into her position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Hirono is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Read our 2015 Report Card for Hirono for more statistics.
Mazie Hirono sits on the following committees:
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
- Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
- Senate Select Committee on Intelligence
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs
Hirono sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (23%) Education (22%) Immigration (12%) Health (12%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (10%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (8%) Transportation and Public Works (7%) Energy (7%)
Some of Hirono’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3360: Youth Access to Sexual Health Services Act of 2016
- S. 3246: A bill to amend title 38, United States Code, to extend authority for ...
- S. 3249: Keeping Our Commitment to Ending Veteran Homelessness Act of 2016
- S.Res. 541: A resolution recognizing the 100th anniversary of the establishment of Hawaii Volcanoes National ...
- S. 3147: Patsy T. Mink Gender Equity in Education Act of 2016
- S. 3093: Equity in Career and Technical Education Act of 2016
- S.Res. 481: A resolution recognizing the significance of May 2016 as Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 2013 to Sep 2016, Hirono missed 2 of 1,141 roll call votes, which is 0.2%. This is better than the median of 1.7% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 27 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: