Read our 2017 Report Card for Hirono.
Hirono is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Hirono has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Mazie Hirono sits on the following committees:
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
- Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
Senate Committee on the Judiciary
- Member, Subcommittee on Border Security and Immigration
- Member, Subcommittee on Oversight, Agency Action, Federal Rights and Federal Courts
- Member, Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology and the Law
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs
Hirono was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- S. 504: Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Business Travel Cards Act of 2017
- S. 1555 (114th): Filipino Veterans of World War II Congressional Gold Medal Act of 2015
- S. 2683 (114th): Federal Aviation Administration Veteran Transition Improvement Act of 2016
- S. 1821 (113th): Philippines Charitable Giving Assistance Act
- H.R. 3966 (110th): Early Education Workforce Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Hirono sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (26%) Education (19%) Health (15%) Immigration (14%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (12%) Transportation and Public Works (6%) International Affairs (5%) Science, Technology, Communications (5%)
Some of Hirono’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2245: KIWI Act
- S. 2213: Admiral Lloyd R. `Joe’ Vasey Pacific War Commemorative Display Establishment Act
- S. 2129: Military Domestic Violence Reporting Enhancement Act
- S. 2103: Protecting Seniors Through Immunization Act of 2017
- S. 2071: Sustainable Fishing Workforce Protection Act
- S.Res. 305: A resolution recognizing the month of October 2017 as Filipino American History Month ...
- S.Con.Res. 23: A concurrent resolution authorizing the use of Emancipation Hall in the Capitol Visitor ...
|Hirono’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.J.Res. 123: Making further continuing appropriations for fiscal year 2018, and for other purposes.
Dec 7, 2017. Joint Resolution Passed 81/14.
On the Nomination PN87: Lt. Gen. Herbert R. McMaster, Jr., in the Army, to be Lieutenant General
Mar 15, 2017. Nomination Confirmed 86/10.
This vote confirmed Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster to be President Trump's National Security Advisor. Although appointments to the position do not normally require Senate confirmation, the appointment of a Senate-confirmed active military officer to this position --- a different position than the one the Senate ...
S. 612: WIIN Act
Dec 10, 2016. Motion Agreed to 78/21.
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
S. 365 (112th): Budget Control Act of 2011
Aug 1, 2011. Passed 269/161.
The Budget Control Act of 2011 (Pub.L. 112–25, S. 365, 125 Stat. 240, enacted August 2, 2011) is a federal statute in the United States that was signed into law by President Barack Obama on August 2, 2011. The Act brought conclusion to the United ...
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 2013 to Jan 2018, Hirono missed 8 of 1,494 roll call votes, which is 0.5%. This is better than the median of 1.3% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 27 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: