Evans, a Republican, was the delegate from the Virgin Islands from 1979 to 1980.
Because the Virgin Islands is a territory of the United States, and not a state, its representative in the House of Representatives is a delegate with limited voting privileges — Evans can vote in committee but not on the House floor, including not on the final passage of bills. Delegates have a marginalized role in Congress and their constituents are not represented in Congress in the same manner as most citizens.
Evans is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1980 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Evans sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Evans was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 5856 (96th): A bill to amend title 32, United States Code, to allow Federal recognition as officers of the National Guard of members of the National Guard of the ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Evans sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Private Legislation (100%)
Some of Evans’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7257 (96th): A bill for the relief of Maria Obando and Rommel Obando.
- H.R. 6687 (96th): A bill to apply duty-free treatment under certain circumstances to articles produced ...
- H.R. 6459 (96th): A bill to provide that the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the ...
- H.R. 6156 (96th): A bill for the relief of Willis A. Hestir.
- H.R. 5856 (96th): A bill to amend title 32, United States Code, to allow Federal ...
- H.R. 4863 (96th): A bill to amend the Farm Credit Act of 1971 to include ...
- H.R. 4398 (96th): A bill to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to provide that ...
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills