Evans was the representative from the Virgin Islands and was a Republican. He served from 1979 to 1980.
Because the Virgin Islands is a territory of the United States, and not a state, its representative in the House of Representatives is a delegate with limited voting privileges — Evans can currently vote in committee and in certain votes on the House floor, but not if their vote would be decisive. Delegates have a marginalized role in Congress and their constituents are not represented in Congress in the same manner as most citizens.
Evans is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1980 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Evans sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 14, 1975 to Dec 13, 1980. See full analysis methodology.
Evans was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 5856 (96th): A bill to amend title 32, United States Code, to allow Federal recognition as officers of the National Guard of members of the National Guard of the …
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Evans sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Private Legislation (100%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Evans recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.R. 7257 (96th): A bill for the relief of Maria Obando and Rommel Obando.
- H.R. 6687 (96th): A bill to apply duty-free treatment under certain circumstances to articles produced …
- H.R. 6459 (96th): A bill to provide that the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the …
- H.R. 6156 (96th): A bill for the relief of Willis A. Hestir.
- H.R. 5856 (96th): A bill to amend title 32, United States Code, to allow Federal …
- H.R. 4863 (96th): A bill to amend the Farm Credit Act of 1971 to include …
- H.R. 4398 (96th): A bill to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to provide that …
View All » | View Cosponsors »
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills