Bennet is the senior senator from Colorado and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 22, 2009. Bennet is next up for reelection in 2022.
Read our 2017 Report Card for Bennet.
Bennet is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Bennet has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Michael Bennet sits on the following committees:
- Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry
- Senate Committee on Finance
- Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
Bennet was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- S. 456: RACE for Children Act
- S. 2030 (114th): Advancing Targeted Therapies for Rare Diseases Act of 2016
- S. 2007 (114th): Federal Cybersecurity Workforce Assessment Act
- S. 344 (114th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to equalize the excise tax on liquified petroleum gas and liquified natural gas.
- S. 957 (113th): Drug Supply Chain Security Act
- S. 1541 (112th): A bill to revise the Federal charter for the Blue Star Mothers of America, Inc. to reflect a change in eligibility requirements for membership.
- S. 1293 (111th): Enhancing Child Health with Automatic School Meal Enrollment Act of 2009
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Bennet sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Public Lands and Natural Resources (20%) Health (17%) Taxation (17%) Education (14%) Government Operations and Politics (12%) Emergency Management (8%) Social Welfare (6%) Environmental Protection (6%)
Some of Bennet’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2876: A bill to amend the National Trails System Act to provide for the ...
- S. 2721: San Juan Mountains Wilderness Act
- S. 2460: Every Prescription Conveyed Securely Act
- S. 2337: Continental Divide Recreation, Wilderness and Camp Hale Legacy Act
- S. 2218: West Fork Fire Station Act of 2017
- S. 2118: A bill for the relief of Melecio Andazola-Morales.
- S. 2089: LGBT Elder Americans Act of 2017
|Bennet’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1892: Further Extension of Continuing Appropriations Act, 2018; Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2018, the SUSTAIN Care Act of 2018; Family First Prevention Services Act.; Honoring Hometown ...
Feb 9, 2018. Motion Agreed to 71/28.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of funding for the federal government through March 23, 2018, to avert a government shutdown that would have occurred on February 9, 2018 had this bill not been enacted. The bill was introduced as the Honoring Hometown Heroes ...
On the Nomination PN365: David Bernhardt, of Virginia, to be Deputy Secretary of the Interior
Jul 24, 2017. Nomination Confirmed 53/43.
On the Nomination PN118: Scott Gottlieb, of Connecticut, to be Commissioner of Food and Drugs, Department of Health and Human Services
May 9, 2017. Nomination Confirmed 57/42.
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.R. 5771 (113th): Tax Increase Prevention Act of 2014
Dec 16, 2014. Bill Passed 76/16.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
H.R. 8 (112th): American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012
Jan 1, 2013. Bill Passed 89/8.
The American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 (Pub.L. 112–240, H.R. 8, 126 Stat. 2313, enacted January 2, 2013) was passed by the United States Congress on January 1, 2013, and was signed into law by President Barack Obama the next day. The Act centers on ...
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010), also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act, was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
H.R. 2918 (111th): Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2010
Sep 30, 2009. Conference Report Agreed to 62/38.
From Jan 2009 to May 2018, Bennet missed 17 of 2,767 roll call votes, which is 0.6%. This is better than the median of 1.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: