Bilirakis, a Republican, was the representative for Florida’s 9th congressional district from 1983 to 2006.
Bilirakis is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2006 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Bilirakis sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Bilirakis was the primary sponsor of 19 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 5213 (108th): Research Review Act of 2004
- H.R. 4380 (108th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 4737 Mile Stretch Drive in Holiday, Florida, as the “Sergeant First Class Paul Ray Smith ...
- H.R. 3926 (108th): Organ Donation and Recovery Improvement Act
- H.R. 3038 (108th): Health Care Safety Net Amendments Technical Corrections Act of 2003
- H.R. 3214 (107th): To amend the charter of the AMVETS organization.
- H.R. 3487 (107th): Nurse Reinvestment Act
- H.R. 4365 (106th): Children’s Health Act of 2000
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Bilirakis sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (16%) Health (16%) Labor and Employment (15%) Economics and Public Finance (14%) Science, Technology, Communications (12%) Armed Forces and National Security (12%) Social Welfare (8%) Law (7%)
Some of Bilirakis’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6100 (109th): Military Education Enhancement Opportunities Act of 2006
- H.Con.Res. 474 (109th): Recognizing the invaluable service of our Nation’s public hospitals and health systems.
- H.Res. 953 (109th): Commending the Republic of Cyprus and thanking the Cypriot people for their ...
- H.R. 5562 (109th): To direct the Joint Committee on the Library to obtain a statue ...
- H.R. 5201 (109th): Health Centers Renewal Act of 2006
- H.R. 3902 (109th): Chamois Truthful Labeling Act of 2005
- H.R. 3205 (109th): Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Act of 2005
From Jan 1983 to Dec 2006, Bilirakis missed 444 of 12,865 roll call votes, which is 3.5%. This is on par with the median of 2.9% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2006. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Congressional Pictorial Directory for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills