Read our 2017 Report Card for Burgess.
Burgess is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Burgess has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Michael Burgess sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Energy and Commerce
- Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe
House Committee on Rules
- Member, Subcommittee on Legislative and Budget Process
Burgess was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 4987: To amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to provide for technical amendments to the Merit-based Incentive Payment System under Medicare.
- H.R. 3921: HEALTHY KIDS Act
- H.R. 5395 (114th): ECHO Act
- H.R. 2196 (114th): Medicare Independence at Home Medical Practice Demonstration Improvement Act of 2015
- H.R. 2 (114th): Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015
- H.R. 1470 (114th): SGR Repeal and Medicare Provider Payment Modernization Act of 2015
- H.R. 594 (113th): Paul D. Wellstone Muscular Dystrophy Community Assistance, Research and Education Amendments of 2014
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Burgess sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Burgess’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 787: Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 4566) to amend the Dodd-Frank Wall ...
- H.R. 4987: To amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to provide for technical ...
- H.R. 4590: To provide an exception to certain mandatory minimum sentence requirements for a person ...
- H.Res. 601: Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3922) to extend funding for certain ...
- H.Res. 600: Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 849) to repeal the provisions of ...
- H.R. 3921: HEALTHY KIDS Act
- H.Res. 533: Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 2824) to amend title V of ...
|Burgess’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 139: Rapid DNA Act of 2017
Jan 11, 2018. Passed 256/164.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the FISA Amendments Reauthorization Act of 2017. The bill would extend so-called "section 702" government surveillance under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. The bill was originally introduced and passed the Senate in 2017 as the Rapid DNA ...
S. 612: A bill to designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 1300 Victoria Street in Laredo, Texas, as the “George P. Kazen Federal Building ...
Dec 8, 2016. Passed 360/61.
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.R. 4681 (113th): Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2015
Dec 10, 2014. Passed 325/100.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Jan 2003 to Apr 2018, Burgess missed 261 of 10,958 roll call votes, which is 2.4%. This is on par with the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: