Read our 2016 Report Card for Burgess.
Our unique analysis of the bills Burgess has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Burgess is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Michael Burgess sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Energy and Commerce
- Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe
House Committee on Rules
- Member, Subcommittee on Legislative and Budget Process
Burgess was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 5395 (114th): ECHO Act
- H.R. 2196 (114th): Medicare Independence at Home Medical Practice Demonstration Improvement Act of 2015
- H.R. 2 (114th): Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015
- H.R. 1470 (114th): SGR Repeal and Medicare Provider Payment Modernization Act of 2015
- H.R. 594 (113th): Paul D. Wellstone Muscular Dystrophy Community Assistance, Research and Education Amendments of 2014
- H.R. 4902 (109th): Byron Nelson Congressional Gold Medal Act
- H.R. 4779 (109th): Byron Nelson Congressional Gold Medal Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Burgess sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Burgess’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3728: EMPOWER Act of 2017
- H.Res. 451: Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 806) to facilitate efficient State implementation ...
- H.R. 3263: To amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to extend the Medicare ...
- H.R. 3120: To amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to reduce the volume ...
- H.R. 3037: Group Term Life Insurance Increase Act
- H.R. 2953: To amend the Congressional Budget Act of 1974 respecting the scoring of preventive ...
- H.Res. 382: Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 1215) to improve patient access to ...
|Burgess’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1039: Probation Officer Protection Act of 2017
May 19, 2017. Passed 229/177.
H.R. 1039 amends the federal criminal code to authorize a probation officer to arrest a person, without warrant, if there is probable cause to believe that person forcibly assaulted or obstructed a probation officer while performing their official duties. The bill also would direct the ...
H.R. 5602: To amend title 31, United States Code, to authorize the Secretary of the Treasury to include all funds when issuing certain geographic targeting orders, and for ...
Jul 11, 2016. Passed 356/47.
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.R. 4681 (113th): Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2015
Dec 10, 2014. Passed 325/100.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Jan 2003 to Sep 2017, Burgess missed 245 of 10,630 roll call votes, which is 2.3%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 31 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: