Read our 2016 Report Card for Capuano.
Our unique analysis of the bills Capuano has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Capuano is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Michael Capuano sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Ethics
- House Committee on Financial Services
- House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
Capuano was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 5877 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 655 Centre Street in Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts, as the “Lance Corporal Alexander Scott Arredondo, United ...
- H.R. 6203 (111th): Longfellow House-Washington’s Headquarters National Historic Site Designation Act
- H.R. 2761 (110th): Terrorism Risk Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2007
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Capuano sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Finance and Financial Sector (39%) Government Operations and Politics (20%) Crime and Law Enforcement (14%) Commerce (9%) Housing and Community Development (7%) Emergency Management (7%) Immigration (5%)
Some of Capuano’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 595: To amend the Federal Reserve Act to reform the Federal Reserve System.
- H.R. 594: To establish the Securities and Derivatives Commission in order to combine the functions ...
- H.R. 593: To amend the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 to prohibit the conversion ...
- H.R. 493: To amend the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act to require ...
- H.R. 492: To ensure that any authority of the Mutual Mortgage Insurance Fund to borrow ...
- H.R. 491: To provide for the repayment of amounts borrowed by Fannie Mae and Freddie ...
- H.R. 376: To amend the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 to require shareholder authorization before ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Capuano’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 612: A bill to designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 1300 Victoria Street in Laredo, Texas, as the “George P. Kazen Federal Building ...
Dec 8, 2016. Passed 360/61.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act ("H.R. 2048". , Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
From Jan 1999 to Jan 2017, Capuano missed 534 of 12,370 roll call votes, which is 4.3%. This is worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 158 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: