Castle was the representative for Delaware’s at-large district and was a Republican. He served from 1993 to 2010.
Castle is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Castle sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Castle was the primary sponsor of 16 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 6184 (110th): America’s Beautiful National Parks Quarter Dollar Coin Act of 2008
- H.R. 4919 (109th): To extend the educational flexibility program under section 4 of the Education Flexibility Partnership Act of 1999.
- H.R. 2800 (109th): To designate the State Route 1 Bridge in the State of Delaware as the “Senator William V. Roth, Jr. Bridge”.
- H.R. 3204 (108th): Benjamin Franklin Commemorative Coin Act
- H.R. 1350 (108th): Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004
- H.R. 3232 (108th): To reauthorize certain school lunch and child nutrition programs through March 31, 2004.
- H.R. 3801 (107th): To provide for improvement of Federal education research, statistics, evaluation, information, and dissemination, and for other purposes.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Castle sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (21%) Economics and Public Finance (14%) Law (13%) Labor and Employment (12%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (11%) Transportation and Public Works (10%) Finance and Financial Sector (9%) Education (9%)
Some of Castle’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6173 (111th): Regenerative Medicine Promotion Act of 2010
- H.R. 6018 (111th): To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act with respect to a country ...
- H.R. 6019 (111th): Accountability and Transparency in Ethics Act of 2010
- H.Con.Res. 299 (111th): Expressing the sense of Congress regarding the establishment of committees with jurisdiction ...
- H.R. 5554 (111th): Small Business Assistance and Relief Act of 2010
- H.R. 5521 (111th): To extend credits related to the production of electricity from offshore wind, ...
- H.R. 5165 (111th): Financial Education in the Classroom Act of 2010
|Castle’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.Con.Res. 293 (111th): Providing for a conditional adjournment of the House of Representatives and a conditional recess or adjournment of ...
Jun 30, 2010. Passed 222/186.
H.Con.Res. 282 (111th): Providing for an adjournment or recess of the two Houses.
May 27, 2010. Passed 230/187.
H.R. 2920 (111th): Statutory Pay-As-You-Go Act of 2009
Jul 22, 2009. Passed 265/166.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 1993 to Dec 2010, Castle missed 109 of 11,825 roll call votes, which is 0.9%. This is better than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2010. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: