Conaway was the representative for Texas’s 11th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2005 to 2020.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Conaway.
Conaway is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2020 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Conaway sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Dec 28, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Conaway was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2334 (116th): To designate the Department of Veterans Affairs community-based outpatient clinic in Odessa, Texas, as the “Wilson and Young Medal of Honor VA Clinic”.
- H.R. 2 (115th): Agriculture Improvement Act of 2018
- H.R. 2051 (114th): Agriculture Reauthorizations Act of 2015
- H.R. 6437 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 200 North Texas Avenue in Odessa, Texas, as the “Corporal Alfred Mac Wilson Post Office”.
- H.R. 1425 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 4551 East 52nd Street in Odessa, Texas, as the “Staff Sergeant Marvin “Rex” Young Post …
Does 5 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Conaway sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Conaway’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 8373 (116th): Digital Commodity Exchange Act of 2020
- H.Res. 1115 (116th): Calling for the immediate release of Trevor Reed, a United States citizen …
- H.Con.Res. 108 (116th): Expressing the sense of Congress that Hong Kong’s loss of judicial and …
- H.Con.Res. 104 (116th): Expressing the sense of Congress that Hong Kong’s loss of judicial and …
- H.R. 6742 (116th): Protecting Life in Crisis Act
- H.Res. 810 (116th): Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the Free File …
- H.R. 3124 (116th): Ensuring Quality Information and Transparency for Abroad-Based Listings on our Exchanges of …
From Jan 2005 to Dec 2020, Conaway missed 196 of 11,044 roll call votes, which is 1.8%. This is on par with the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2020. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: