Read our 2017 Report Card for Conaway.
Conaway is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Conaway has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Michael Conaway sits on the following committees:
- Chair, House Committee on Agriculture
- House Committee on Armed Services
- House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
Conaway was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2051 (114th): Agriculture Reauthorizations Act of 2015
- H.R. 6437 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 200 North Texas Avenue in Odessa, Texas, as the “Corporal Alfred Mac Wilson Post Office”.
- H.R. 1425 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 4551 East 52nd Street in Odessa, Texas, as the “Staff Sergeant Marvin “Rex” Young Post ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Conaway sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
International Affairs (20%) Agriculture and Food (17%) Taxation (13%) Finance and Financial Sector (13%) Energy (10%) Armed Forces and National Security (10%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (10%) Environmental Protection (7%)
Some of Conaway’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 1035: Expressing opposition to the completion of Nord Stream II, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 6515: Occupational Licensing Board Antitrust Damages Relief and Reform Act of 2018
- H.R. 6037: Nonprofits Support Act
- H.R. 6000: FriendSHIP Act
- H.R. 6001: Fair Trade with China Enforcement Act
- H.Res. 846: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives on support for Estonia, Latvia, ...
- H.Res. 847: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives on support for Georgia.
|Conaway’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 1182: The American Legion 100th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Act
Jul 25, 2018. Passed 366/52.
The House Amendment to S. 1182 extends the National Flood Insurance Program, which is set to expire July 31, 2018, through November 30, 2018. This amendment does not include any reforms to the program; it is only a short-term extension. The NFIP was originally set ...
H.R. 863: To facilitate the addition of park administration at the Coltsville National Historical Park, and for other purposes.
Feb 27, 2017. Passed 369/42.
H.R. 4889: Kelsey Smith Act
May 23, 2016. Failed 229/158.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 3393 (113th): Student and Family Tax Simplification Act
Jul 24, 2014. Passed 227/187.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
S. 3325 (110th): Prioritizing Resources and Organization for Intellectual Property Act of 2008
Sep 28, 2008. Passed 381/41.
From Jan 2005 to Sep 2018, Conaway missed 187 of 9,989 roll call votes, which is 1.9%. This is on par with the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: