DeWine, a Republican, was a senator from Ohio from 1995 to 2006.
He was previously the representative for Ohio's 7th congressional district (1983-1990).
DeWine is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 2006 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills DeWine sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
DeWine was the primary sponsor of 22 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 2430 (109th): Great Lakes Fish and Wildlife Restoration Act of 2006
- S. 2999 (109th): Safe and Timely Interstate Placement of Foster Children Act of 2006
- S. 2591 (109th): A bill to exempt persons with disabilities from the prohibition against providing section 8 rental assistance to college students.
- S. 172 (109th): A bill to amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to provide for the regulation of all contact lenses as medical devices, and for other purposes.
- S. 384 (109th): A bill to extend the existence of the Nazi War Crimes and Japanese Imperial Government Records Interagency Working Group for 2 years.
- S. 408 (109th): Sober Truth on Preventing Underage Drinking Act
- S. 1301 (108th): Video Voyeurism Prevention Act of 2004
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
DeWine sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of DeWine’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 4086 (109th): Maternal Motor Vehicle Crash Safety Act of 2006
- S. 4004 (109th): A bill to suspend temporarily the duty on certain structures, parts, and ...
- S. 3956 (109th): Crime Victims with Disabilities Act of 2006
- S.Res. 570 (109th): A resolution designating the month of September as “National American History and ...
- S.Res. 564 (109th): A resolution designating September 10 through September 16, 2006, as “National Polycystic ...
- S. 3874 (109th): Terrorist Surveillance Act of 2006
- S.Res. 557 (109th): A resolution designating September 10 through September 16, 2006, as “National Polycystic ...
From Jan 1995 to Dec 2006, DeWine missed 10 of 4,156 roll call votes, which is 0.2%. This is better than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Dec 2006. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Congressional Pictorial Directory for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills