Enzi is the senior senator from Wyoming and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 7, 1997. Enzi is next up for reelection in 2020.
Read our 2017 Report Card for Enzi.
Enzi is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Enzi has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Michael Enzi sits on the following committees:
- Chair, Senate Committee on the Budget
Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
- Chair, Subcommittee on Primary Health and Retirement Security
- Senate Committee on Finance
Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
- Member, Subcommittee on Federal Spending Oversight and Emergency Management
- Member, Subcommittee on Regulatory Affairs and Federal Management
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Enzi was the primary sponsor of 23 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 1: An original bill to provide for reconciliation pursuant to title II of the concurrent resolution on the budget for fiscal year 2018.
- S. 1110 (114th): National Forest System Trails Stewardship Act
- S. 130 (113th): Powell Shooting Range Land Conveyance Act
- S. 254 (110th): A bill to award posthumously a Congressional gold medal to Constantino Brumidi.
- S. 845 (110th): Safety of Seniors Act of 2007
- S. 1400 (110th): Student Information Means a Positive Loan Experience Act of 2007
- S. 1401 (110th): Student Financial Aid Data Privacy Protection Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Enzi sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Economics and Public Finance (19%) Health (19%) Taxation (19%) Finance and Financial Sector (14%) Arts, Culture, Religion (8%) Animals (8%) Environmental Protection (7%) Crime and Law Enforcement (7%)
Some of Enzi’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S.Res. 425: A resolution supporting the designation of March 2018 as “National Colorectal Cancer Awareness ...
- S. 2496: Small Business Health Account Act of 2018
- S. 2214: Medicare Patient Access to Hospice Act of 2017
- S. 2171: CFPB Pay Fairness Act of 2017
- S. 1: An original bill to provide for reconciliation pursuant to title II of the ...
- S.Con.Res. 25: An original concurrent resolution setting forth the congressional budget for the United States ...
- S.Res. 274: A resolution supporting the goals and ideals of National Retirement Security Week, including ...
|Enzi’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1892: Further Extension of Continuing Appropriations Act, 2018; Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2018, the SUSTAIN Care Act of 2018; Family First Prevention Services Act.; Honoring Hometown ...
Feb 9, 2018. Motion Agreed to 71/28.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of funding for the federal government through March 23, 2018, to avert a government shutdown that would have occurred on February 9, 2018 had this bill not been enacted. The bill was introduced as the Honoring Hometown Heroes ...
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
H.R. 644: Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015
Feb 11, 2016. Conference Report Agreed to 75/20.
This bill became the vehicle for the passage of the Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015, which includes a variety of requirements on trade protection and general trade policy. It would authorize and fund United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP), an agency ...
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.R. 240: Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act, 2015
Feb 27, 2015. Bill Passed 68/31.
H.R. 5771 (113th): Tax Increase Prevention Act of 2014
Dec 16, 2014. Bill Passed 76/16.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
H.R. 3304 (113th): National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2014
Dec 19, 2013. Motion Agreed to 84/15.
H.R. 4310 (112th): National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2013
Dec 21, 2012. Conference Report Agreed to 81/14.
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010), also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act, was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
From Jan 1997 to Apr 2018, Enzi missed 143 of 6,640 roll call votes, which is 2.2%. This is on par with the median of 1.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: