Guest is the representative for Mississippi’s 3rd congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 3, 2019. Guest is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Guest.
Guest is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Guest has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Dec 3, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Michael Guest sits on the following committees:
Guest was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2246 (116th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 201 West Cherokee Street in Brookhaven, Mississippi, as the “Deputy Donald William Durr, Corporal Zach …
- H.R. 1590 (116th): Terrorist and Foreign Fighter Travel Exercise Act of 2019
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Guest sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Guest’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4682: UAS Act
- H.Res. 528: Congratulating the Mississippi State University baseball team on winning the 2021 National Collegiate …
- H.R. 3706: Emergency Resupply for IRON DOME Act of 2021
- H.Res. 450: Calling upon all Americans on this Memorial Day, 2021, to honor the men …
- H.R. 3248: ABC Act of 2021
- H.Res. 386: Expressing support for recognizing “National Police Week”.
- H.R. 3130: Operation Stonegarden Authorization Act
From Jan 2019 to Dec 2021, Guest missed 43 of 1,355 roll call votes, which is 3.2%. This is worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: