Harrington, a Democrat, was the representative for Massachusetts's 6th congressional district from 1969 to 1978.
Harrington is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1978 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Harrington sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Harrington was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 7550 (95th): A bill for the relief of Johanne Lapointe.
- H.R. 1931 (95th): A bill for the relief of Juana Todd Atherley.
- H.R. 11877 (95th): Peace Corps Act Amendments
- H.R. 1552 (95th): An Act for the relief of Oh Soon Yi.
- H.R. 10863 (93rd): A bill to amend the act to incorporate Little League Baseball to provide that the league shall be open to girls, as well as to boys.
- H.R. 8978 (93rd): A bill to amend the act to incorporate Little League Baseball to provide that the league shall be open to girls as well as to boys.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Harrington sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (21%) International Affairs (15%) Labor and Employment (15%) Armed Forces and National Security (12%) Social Welfare (12%) Energy (9%) Private Legislation (9%) Economics and Public Finance (7%)
Some of Harrington’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 13890 (95th): Tuition Advance Fund Act
- H.R. 13852 (95th): A bill to declare the need for an explicit population policy and ...
- H.R. 13409 (95th): Peace Corps Reform Act
- H.R. 13408 (95th): Peace Corps Reform Act
- H.R. 13406 (95th): A bill for the relief of James Mabiho Rwabuhinga.
- H.R. 13223 (95th): A bill to declare the need for an explicit population policy and ...
- H.R. 12956 (95th): Peace Corps Reform Act
From Oct 1969 to Oct 1978, Harrington missed 925 of 4,893 roll call votes, which is 18.9%. This is much worse than the median of 8.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1978. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills