Our unique analysis of the bills Lowry sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 1988. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Lowry is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Lowry was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4211 (100th): A bill to reauthorize the National Ocean Pollution Planning Act of 1978 for fiscal years 1989 and 1990, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 4210 (100th): A bill to reauthorize title II of the Marine Protection, Research, and Sanctuaries Act of 1972, for fiscal years 1989 and 1990, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 4209 (100th): A bill to authorize appropriations to carry out title I of the Marine Protection, Research, and Sanctuaries Act of 1972 during fiscal years 1989, 1990, and 1991.
- H.R. 2598 (100th): Commercial Fishing Industry Vessel Anti-Reflagging Act of 1987
- H.R. 4409 (99th): Panama Canal Commission Authorization Act, Fiscal Year 1987
- H.R. 1784 (99th): Panama Canal Commission Authorization Act, Fiscal Year 1986
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Lowry sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Environmental Protection (18%) Economics and Public Finance (17%) Private Legislation (15%) Government Operations and Politics (13%) International Affairs (11%) Transportation and Public Works (10%) Housing and Community Development (10%) Taxation (7%)
Some of Lowry’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5069 (100th): Territorial Sea and Contiguous Zone Extension Act of 1988
- H.R. 5070 (100th): National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Organic Act
- H.R. 4625 (100th): A bill to issue a fisheries license for the operation of the ...
- H.R. 4518 (100th): A bill to amend title 46, United States Code, to enhance the ...
- H.R. 4461 (100th): A bill to prohibit operations by the Coast Guard in the Persian ...
- H.R. 4398 (100th): A bill to lift the trade and other economic sanctions imposed on ...
- H.R. 4378 (100th): United States Response to South African Censorship Act of 1988
From Jan 1979 to Oct 1988, Lowry missed 193 of 4,823 roll call votes, which is 4.0%. This is on par with the median of 5.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1988. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congress-Legislators, a community project collecting election information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills