Read our 2017 Report Card for McCaul.
McCaul is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills McCaul has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Michael McCaul sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Homeland Security
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Border and Maritime Security
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Counterterrorism and Intelligence
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Protection
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Emergency Preparedness, Response, and Communications
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Oversight and Management Efficiency
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Transportation and Protective Security
House Committee on Foreign Affairs
- Member, Subcommittee on The Western Hemisphere
McCaul was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 3359: Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency Act of 2018
- H.R. 6401: Preventing Emerging Threats Act of 2018
- H.R. 4708: Department of Homeland Security Blue Campaign Authorization Act
- H.R. 1231: RACE for Children Act
- H.R. 820: Childhood Cancer STAR Act
- H.R. 3873 (114th): International Cyber Policy Oversight Act of 2015
- H.R. 755 (113th): To award a Congressional Gold Medal to the World War II members of the Civil Air Patrol.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
McCaul sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
International Affairs (31%) Emergency Management (22%) Government Operations and Politics (12%) Health (10%) Immigration (7%) Taxation (7%) Science, Technology, Communications (5%) Crime and Law Enforcement (5%)
Some of McCaul’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7153: Championing American Business Through Diplomacy Act of 2018
- H.R. 6997: Repatriation Assistance Act of 2018
- H.R. 6439: Biometric Identification Transnational Migration Alert Program Authorization Act of 2018
- H.R. 6401: Preventing Emerging Threats Act of 2018
- H.R. 6018: To establish an interagency program to assist countries in North and West Africa ...
- H.R. 5731: Securing Our Schools Act
- H.Res. 838: Honoring the life of First Lady Barbara Bush.
|McCaul’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.J.Res. 43: Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the final rule submitted by Secretary of Health and Human Services relating ...
Feb 16, 2017. Passed 230/188.
Joe Biden never got the opportunity to break a single 50-50 Senate tie in eight years as vice president. Mike Pence has already broken two. One from last month has since become law: a measure allowing states to withhold federal Planned Parenthood funding. (The other ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant legislative change to the U.S. patent system since the ...
H.Res. 1184 (111th): Congratulating the 2009-2010 University of Maryland Men’s Basketball Team, Greivis Vasquez, and Coach Gary Williams on an ...
Mar 17, 2010. Passed 279/132.
H.R. 1752 (111th): To provide that the usual day for paying salaries in or under the House of Representatives may ...
Jul 30, 2009. Failed 282/144.
H.R. 556 (110th): Foreign Investment and National Security Act of 2007
Jul 11, 2007. Passed 370/45.
From Jan 2005 to Dec 2018, McCaul missed 226 of 10,020 roll call votes, which is 2.3%. This is on par with the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: