Our unique analysis of the bills McCaul has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). McCaul is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Read our 2015 Report Card for McCaul for more statistics.
Michael McCaul sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Homeland Security
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Border and Maritime Security
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Counterterrorism and Intelligence
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Cybersecurity, Infrastructure Protection, and Security Technologies
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Emergency Preparedness, Response, and Communications
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Oversight and Management Efficiency
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Transportation Security
House Committee on Foreign Affairs
- Member, Subcommittee on The Western Hemisphere
- House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology
McCaul sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
International Affairs (33%) Emergency Management (21%) Government Operations and Politics (13%) Immigration (10%) Health (8%) Crime and Law Enforcement (6%) Agriculture and Food (4%) Armed Forces and National Security (4%)
Some of McCaul’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6381: DHS Reform and Improvement Act
- H.Con.Res. 159: Condemning the Government of the Islamic Republic of Iran for the 1988 massacre ...
- H.R. 5924: To provide that members of the Armed Forces performing services in the Sinai ...
- H.R. 5858: RACE for Children Act
- H.R. 5859: Community Counterterrorism Preparedness Act
- H.R. 5697: Taking Responsibility Using Secured Technologies Act of 2016
- H.R. 5471: Countering Terrorist Radicalization Act
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|McCaul’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed.
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed.
H.J.Res. 35: Making further continuing appropriations for fiscal year 2015, and for other purposes.
Feb 27, 2015. Failed.
From Jan 2005 to Dec 2016, McCaul missed 199 of 8,858 roll call votes, which is 2.2%. This is on par with the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 3 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: