Read our 2019 Report Card for McCaul.
McCaul is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills McCaul has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Jan 21, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Michael McCaul sits on the following committees:
McCaul was the primary sponsor of 11 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 1158: Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2020
- H.R. 1704: Championing American Business Through Diplomacy Act of 2019
- H.R. 3359 (115th): Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency Act of 2018
- H.R. 6401: Preventing Emerging Threats Act of 2018
- H.R. 4708: Department of Homeland Security Blue Campaign Authorization Act
- H.R. 1231: RACE for Children Act
- H.R. 820: Childhood Cancer STAR Act
Does 11 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
McCaul sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of McCaul’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5664: LIFT Act
- H.R. 5338: Global Hope Act of 2019
- H.R. 4882: Community Safety Act of 2019
- H.R. 4883: JCAT Authorization Act
- H.R. 4636: Partnering and Leveraging Assistance to Stop Trash for International Cleaner Seas Act
- H.Res. 521: Commending the Government of Canada for upholding the rule of law and expressing ...
- H.R. 3763: Promoting United States International Leadership in 5G Act of 2019
From Jan 2005 to Jan 2020, McCaul missed 232 of 10,813 roll call votes, which is 2.1%. This is on par with the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: