Read our 2022 Report Card for McCaul.
McCaul is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills McCaul has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2019 to Mar 22, 2023. See full analysis methodology.
Michael McCaul sits on the following committees:
McCaul was the primary sponsor of 25 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 4693 (117th): Global Malnutrition Prevention and Treatment Act of 2021
- H.R. 6498 (117th): PEACE through Music Diplomacy Act
- H.R. 7870 (117th): To include certain computer-related projects in the Federal permitting program under title XLI of the FAST Act, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 7630 (117th): Childhood Cancer STAR Reauthorization Act of 2022
- H.R. 7276 (117th): Ukraine Invasion War Crimes Deterrence and Accountability Act
- H.R. 567 (117th): Trans-Sahara Counterterrorism Partnership Program Act of 2021
- H.R. 1252 (117th): Improving Embassy Design and Security Act
Does 25 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
McCaul sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
International Affairs (73%) Emergency Management (8%)
Recently Introduced Bills
McCaul recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.R. 1690: To authorize Secretary of State to negotiate regional immigration agreements, and for other …
- H.R. 1153: DATA Act
- H.Res. 137: Providing amounts for the expenses of the Committee on Foreign Affairs in the …
- H.R. 1093: To direct the Secretary of State to submit to Congress a report on …
- H.Res. 104: Condemning the Chinese Communist Party’s use of a high-altitude surveillance balloon over United …
- H.R. 9010 (117th): Taiwan Policy Act of 2022
- H.Res. 1389 (117th): Welcoming His Holiness, Hadhrat Mirza Masroor Ahmad, the worldwide spiritual head of …
View All » | View Cosponsors »
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2005 to Mar 2023, McCaul missed 266 of 12,195 roll call votes, which is 2.2%. This is on par with the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses, major life events, and running for higher office.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
|2013 Jan-Jan 112th Congress||5||0||0.0%||0th|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- GPO Member Guide for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills