Read our 2016 Report Card for Simpson.
Our unique analysis of the bills Simpson has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Simpson is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Michael “Mike” Simpson sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Appropriations
- Chair, Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies
Simpson was the primary sponsor of 15 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 2028 (114th): Further Continuing and Security Assistance Appropriations Act, 2017
- H.R. 812 (114th): Indian Trust Asset Reform Act
- H.R. 1138 (114th): Sawtooth National Recreation Area and Jerry Peak Wilderness Additions Act
- H.R. 5050 (113th): May 31, 1918 Act Repeal Act
- H.R. 5049 (113th): Blackfoot River Land Exchange Act of 2014
- H.R. 876 (113th): Idaho Wilderness Water Resources Protection Act
- H.R. 2584 (112th): Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2012
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Simpson sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Simpson’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3266: Energy and Water Development and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2018
- H.R. 2862: Wildfire Disaster Funding Act
- H.R. 2863: LAND Act
- H.R. 2104: Morley Nelson Snake River Birds of Prey National Conservation Area Boundary Modification Act ...
- H.R. 1728: To modify the boundaries of the Morley Nelson Snake River Birds of Prey ...
- H.R. 1482: To authorize the Secretary of Agriculture to maintain or replace certain facilities and ...
- H.R. 1483: Litigation Relief for Forest Management Projects Act
|Simpson’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 4901: Scholarships for Opportunity and Results Reauthorization Act
Apr 29, 2016. Passed 224/181.
H.R. 10: Scholarships for Opportunity and Results Reauthorization Act
Oct 21, 2015. Passed 240/191.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.J.Res. 117 (112th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2013
Sep 13, 2012. Passed 329/91.
H.R. 3521 (112th): Expedited Legislative Line-Item Veto and Rescissions Act of 2012
Feb 8, 2012. Passed 254/173.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 31 (111th): Lumbee Recognition Act
Jun 3, 2009. Passed 240/179.
From Jan 1999 to Jul 2017, Simpson missed 372 of 12,749 roll call votes, which is 2.9%. This is worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 24 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: