Read our 2017 Report Card for Simpson.
Simpson is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Simpson has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Michael “Mike” Simpson sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Appropriations
- Chair, Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies
Simpson was the primary sponsor of 14 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 2028 (114th): Further Continuing and Security Assistance Appropriations Act, 2017
- H.R. 812 (114th): Indian Trust Asset Reform Act
- H.R. 1138 (114th): Sawtooth National Recreation Area and Jerry Peak Wilderness Additions Act
- H.R. 5050 (113th): May 31, 1918 Act Repeal Act
- H.R. 5049 (113th): Blackfoot River Land Exchange Act of 2014
- H.R. 876 (113th): Idaho Wilderness Water Resources Protection Act
- H.R. 2584 (112th): Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2012
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Simpson sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Simpson’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5210: National Park Restoration Act
- H.R. 4448: To provide for an exchange of Federal land and non-Federal land in the ...
- H.R. 4252: Geothermal Production Expansion Act of 2017
- H.R. 4134: Cecil D. Andrus-White Clouds Wilderness Redesignation Act
- H.R. 3266: Energy and Water Development and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2018
- H.R. 2862: Wildfire Disaster Funding Act
- H.R. 2863: LAND Act
|Simpson’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 4182: EQUALS Act of 2017
Nov 30, 2017. Passed 213/204.
H.R. 4182 extends the probationary period for appointments to the competitive service and initial appointments as supervisors and managers from one year to two years after the completion of required training and licensing. The bill also extends the probationary period for initial Senior Executive Service ...
H.R. 4901: Scholarships for Opportunity and Results Reauthorization Act
Apr 29, 2016. Passed 224/181.
H.R. 10: Scholarships for Opportunity and Results Reauthorization Act
Oct 21, 2015. Passed 240/191.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.J.Res. 117 (112th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2013
Sep 13, 2012. Passed 329/91.
H.R. 3521 (112th): Expedited Legislative Line-Item Veto and Rescissions Act of 2012
Feb 8, 2012. Passed 254/173.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 31 (111th): Lumbee Recognition Act
Jun 3, 2009. Passed 240/179.
From Jan 1999 to Mar 2018, Simpson missed 391 of 13,143 roll call votes, which is 3.0%. This is on par with the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: