Read our 2018 Report Card for Simpson.
Simpson is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Simpson has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Jun 18, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Michael “Mike” Simpson sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Appropriations
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
Simpson was the primary sponsor of 21 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 482: To authorize the Secretary of Agriculture to maintain or replace certain facilities and structures for commercial recreation services at Smith Gulch in Idaho, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 483: To authorize the Secretary of the Interior to convey certain public land within the Henry’s Lake Wilderness Study Area in the State of Idaho to resolve an unauthorized ...
- H.R. 5895: Energy and Water, Legislative Branch, and Military Construction and Veterans Affairs Appropriations Act, 2019
- H.R. 3266: Energy and Water Development and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2018
- H.R. 2028 (114th): Further Continuing and Security Assistance Appropriations Act, 2017
- H.R. 812 (114th): Indian Trust Asset Reform Act
- H.R. 1138 (114th): Sawtooth National Recreation Area and Jerry Peak Wilderness Additions Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Simpson sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Simpson’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 1113: Statistical Area Fairness Act of 2019
- H.R. 1026: LAND Act
- H.R. 482: To authorize the Secretary of Agriculture to maintain or replace certain facilities and ...
- H.R. 483: To authorize the Secretary of the Interior to convey certain public land within ...
- H.R. 215: Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Judgeship and Reorganization Act of 2019
- H.R. 214: To authorize an additional district judgeship for the district of Idaho.
- H.R. 6924: To authorize the Secretary of the Interior to convey certain public land within ...
From Jan 1999 to Jun 2019, Simpson missed 434 of 13,888 roll call votes, which is 3.1%. This is worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: