Waltz is the representative for Florida’s 6th congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 3, 2019. Waltz is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Waltz.
Waltz is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Waltz has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jun 22, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Michael Waltz sits on the following committees:
Waltz was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Waltz sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Waltz’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4070: To direct the Attorney General, in coordination with the President’s Interagency Task Force ...
- H.Res. 474: Condemning and censuring Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, Representative Rashida Tlaib of ...
- H.R. 3858: To establish a national science and technology strategy, a quadrennial science and technology ...
- H.R. 3645: To prohibit the Federal Government from contracting with persons that have business operations ...
- H.R. 3553: To amend title 5, United States Code, to provide that sums in the ...
- H.Con.Res. 32: Commemorating the 30th anniversary of Operation Provide Comfort.
- H.R. 2827: Captain James C. Edge Gold Star Spouse Equity Act
From Jan 2019 to Jun 2021, Waltz missed 64 of 1,134 roll call votes, which is 5.6%. This is much worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: