Bachmann was the representative for Minnesota’s 6th congressional district and was a Republican. She served from 2007 to 2014.
Read our 2014 Report Card for Bachmann.
Bachmann is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2014 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Bachmann sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2009 to Dec 11, 2014. See full analysis methodology.
Bachmann was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 43 (113th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 14 Red River Avenue North in Cold Spring, Minnesota, as the “Officer Tommy Decker Memorial …
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Bachmann sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (31%) Government Operations and Politics (17%) Taxation (14%) Families (14%) International Affairs (10%) Armed Forces and National Security (7%) Finance and Financial Sector (7%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Bachmann recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.Res. 762 (113th): Expressing support for the goals of National Adoption Day and National Adoption …
- H.R. 5551 (113th): Heartbeat Informed Consent Act
- H.R. 5408 (113th): Terrorist Denaturalization and Passport Revocation Act
- H.R. 5194 (113th): Muslim Brotherhood Terrorist Designation Act of 2014
- H.R. 4989 (113th): Justina’s Law
- H.Res. 409 (113th): Expressing support for the goals of National Adoption Day and National Adoption …
- H.R. 2091 (113th): To amend title 36, United States Code, to require that the POW/MIA …
View All » | View Cosponsors »
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2007 to Dec 2014, Bachmann missed 655 of 6,341 roll call votes, which is 10.3%. This is much worse than the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2014. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses, major life events, and running for higher office.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
|2013 Jan-Jan 112th Congress||5||1||20.0%||95th|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- GPO Member Guide for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills