Steel is the representative for California’s 48th congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. She has served since Jan 3, 2021. Steel is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Steel is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Steel has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jun 21, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Michelle Steel sits on the following committees:
Some of Steel’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3878: To amend section 2202 of the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 to ...
- H.R. 3640: To ensure labor organization transparency and accountability.
- H.R. 1472: Stop the High-Speed Money Pit Act
- H.Res. 153: Condemning recent hate crimes committed against Asian-American and Pacific Islanders.
From Jan 2021 to Jun 2021, Steel missed 7 of 174 roll call votes, which is 4.0%. This is worse than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills