Bishop was the representative for Michigan’s 8th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2015 to 2018.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Bishop.
Bishop is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2018 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Bishop sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2013 to Dec 21, 2018. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Bishop was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6020 (115th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 325 South Michigan Avenue in Howell, Michigan, as the “Sergeant Donald Burgett Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 5788 (115th): STOP Act of 2018
- H.R. 4107: USS Indianapolis Congressional Gold Medal Act
- H.R. 3594 (114th): Federal Perkins Loan Program Extension Act of 2015
Does 4 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Bishop sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (29%) International Affairs (12%) Armed Forces and National Security (12%) Social Welfare (12%) Education (8%) Health (8%) Government Operations and Politics (8%) Social Sciences and History (8%)
Some of Bishop’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6938 (115th): Rightsizing the Federal Workforce Through Attrition Act
- H.R. 6848: VA Safe Opioid Return Act
- H.R. 6774: Iran Payments Accountability Act of 2018
- H.R. 6734: Full Military Honors Act of 2018
- H.R. 6276: Strengthening Pensions through Investment in Infrastructure Act
- H.R. 6277: Main Street Tax Certainty Act
- H.R. 6084: Improving Social Security’s Service to Victims of Identity Theft Act
From Jan 2015 to Dec 2018, Bishop missed 65 of 2,535 roll call votes, which is 2.6%. This is on par with the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2018. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: