Braun is the junior senator from Indiana and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 3, 2019. Braun is next up for reelection in 2024 and serves until Jan 3, 2025.
Read our 2019 Report Card for Braun.
Braun is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Braun has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Oct 22, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Mike Braun sits on the following committees:
Braun was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- S. 3105: A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 456 North Meridian Street in Indianapolis, Indiana, as the “Richard G. Lugar Post Office”.
- S. 1759: A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 456 North Meridian Street in Indianapolis, Indiana, as the “Richard G. Lugar Post Office ...
- S. 1833: Restore the Harmony Way Bridge Act
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Braun sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (27%) Armed Forces and National Security (19%) Taxation (14%) Government Operations and Politics (11%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (8%) Education (8%) Transportation and Public Works (8%) Economics and Public Finance (5%)
Some of Braun’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 4812: A bill to provide the Secretary of Defense and the Secretary of State ...
- S. 4796: A bill to address the high costs of health care services, prescription drugs, ...
- S.Res. 715: A resolution expressing support for the Pledge of Allegiance.
- S. 4601: Animal Cruelty Enforcement Act of 2020
- S.Res. 679: A resolution expressing appreciation and support for essential employees with disabilities or who ...
- S. 4377: Protect our Children from COVID-19 Act
- S. 4124: Hire Veteran Health Heroes Act of 2020
From Jan 2019 to Oct 2020, Braun missed 5 of 649 roll call votes, which is 0.8%. This is better than the median of 1.9% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: