Read our 2019 Report Card for Gallagher.
Gallagher is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Gallagher has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Aug 7, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Mike Gallagher sits on the following committees:
Gallagher was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3342 (115th): Sanctioning the Use of Civilians as Defenseless Shields Act
- H.R. 873: Global War on Terrorism War Memorial Act
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Gallagher sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
International Affairs (27%) Government Operations and Politics (17%) Transportation and Public Works (12%) Health (12%) Armed Forces and National Security (12%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (10%) Immigration (6%) Taxation (6%)
Some of Gallagher’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7423: Taiwan Defense Act
- H.Res. 974: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the Hong Kong national ...
- H.R. 6500: Eliminating Leftover Expenses for Campaigns from Taxpayers (ELECT) Act of 2020
- H.R. 6482: Protecting Our Pharmaceutical Supply Chain from China Act of 2020
- H.R. 6235: NETWORKS Act
- H.R. 6153: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 410 ...
- H.R. 6152: Protecting America From Foreign Investors Compromised by the Chinese Communist Party Act of ...
From Jan 2017 to Jul 2020, Gallagher missed 50 of 2,089 roll call votes, which is 2.4%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: