Read our 2014 Report Card for Johanns.
Johanns is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 2014 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Johanns sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2009 to Dec 12, 2014. See full analysis methodology.
Johanns was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- S. 1499 (113th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 278 Main Street in Chadron, Nebraska, as the “Sergeant Cory Mracek Memorial Post ...
- S. 359 (112th): Comprehensive 1099 Taxpayer Protection and Repayment of Exchange Subsidy Overpayments Act of 2011
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Johanns sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (20%) Environmental Protection (18%) Taxation (16%) Health (11%) Finance and Financial Sector (11%) Armed Forces and National Security (9%) Agriculture and Food (7%) Immigration (7%)
Some of Johanns’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2809 (113th): A bill to require the Environmental Protection Agency to obtain a court ...
- S.Con.Res. 42 (113th): A concurrent resolution recognizing caregiving as a profession and the extraordinary contributions ...
- S. 2745 (113th): A bill to amend the National Trails System Act to direct the ...
- S. 2633 (113th): UAC State Notification Act of 2014
- S. 2628 (113th): UAC State Notification Act of 2014
- S. 2600 (113th): UAC State Notification Act of 2014
- S. 2544 (113th): A bill to authorize early repayment of obligations to the Bureau of ...
From Jan 2009 to Dec 2014, Johanns missed 70 of 1,839 roll call votes, which is 3.8%. This is worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Dec 2014. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: