Levin is the representative for California’s 49th congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 3, 2019. Levin is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Levin.
Levin is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Levin has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jun 22, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Mike Levin sits on the following committees:
Levin was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2523: THRIVE Act
- H.R. 7105 (116th): Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020
- H.R. 6767 (116th): To amend the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act to provide for an extension of lease protections for servicemembers under stop movement orders in response to a local, national, ...
- H.R. 4625 (116th): Protect the GI Bill Act
- H.R. 2326 (116th): Navy SEAL Chief Petty Officer William “Bill” Mulder (Ret.) Transition Improvement Act of 2019
Does 5 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Levin sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Levin’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3832: To amend the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 to prohibit the solicitation ...
- H.R. 3665: To designate the medical center of the Department of Veterans Affairs in San ...
- H.R. 3519: To amend the Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act to establish a ...
- H.R. 3326: To promote the development of renewable energy on public lands, and for other ...
- H.R. 3053: American Coasts and Oceans Protection Act
- H.R. 2523: THRIVE Act
- H.R. 2367: SOBER Homes Act
From Jan 2019 to Jun 2021, Levin missed 0 of 1,134 roll call votes, which is 0.0%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: