Our unique analysis of the bills Pence sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 2013. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Pence is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Pence was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Pence sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Economics and Public Finance (22%) Science, Technology, Communications (17%) Health (13%) Taxation (13%) Law (9%) Commerce (9%) Finance and Financial Sector (9%) Government Operations and Politics (9%)
Some of Pence’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2932 (112th): Free Flow of Information Act of 2011
- H.R. 696 (112th): Tax Relief Certainty Act of 2011
- H.R. 642 (112th): Broadcaster Freedom Act of 2011
- H.R. 245 (112th): To amend the Federal Reserve Act to remove the mandate on the ...
- H.R. 217 (112th): Title X Abortion Provider Prohibition Act
- H.R. 6415 (111th): Tax Relief Certainty Act
- H.R. 6406 (111th): To amend the Federal Reserve Act to remove the mandate on the ...
From Jan 2001 to Jan 2013, Pence missed 451 of 8,568 roll call votes, which is 5.3%. This is much worse than the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 2013. ProPublica has tracked 153 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: