Pence is Vice President of the United States (and President of the Senate) and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 20, 2017. Pence is next up for reelection in 2020 and serves until Jan 20, 2021 unless re-elected.
He was previously the representative for Indiana’s 6th congressional district as a Republican from 2003 to 2012; and the representative for Indiana’s 2nd congressional district as a Republican from 2001 to 2002.
Pence is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2013 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Pence sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 4, 2007 to Jan 1, 2013. See full analysis methodology.
Pence sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Economics and Public Finance (22%) Science, Technology, Communications (17%) Health (13%) Taxation (13%) Law (9%) Commerce (9%) Finance and Financial Sector (9%) Government Operations and Politics (9%)
Some of Pence’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2932 (112th): Free Flow of Information Act of 2011
- H.R. 696 (112th): Tax Relief Certainty Act of 2011
- H.R. 642 (112th): Broadcaster Freedom Act of 2011
- H.R. 217 (112th): Title X Abortion Provider Prohibition Act
- H.R. 245 (112th): To amend the Federal Reserve Act to remove the mandate on the ...
- H.R. 6415 (111th): Tax Relief Certainty Act
- H.R. 6406 (111th): To amend the Federal Reserve Act to remove the mandate on the ...
From Jan 2001 to Jan 2013, Pence missed 451 of 8,568 roll call votes, which is 5.3%. This is much worse than the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 2013. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: