Rounds is the junior senator from South Dakota and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 6, 2015. Rounds is next up for reelection in 2020.
Read our 2017 Report Card for Rounds.
Rounds is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Rounds has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Mike Rounds sits on the following committees:
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works
- Chair, Subcommittee on Superfund, Waste Management, and Regulatory Oversight
- Member, Subcommittee on Fisheries, Water, and Wildlife
Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Member, Subcommittee on Housing, Transportation, and Community Development
- Member, Subcommittee on National Security and International Trade and Finance
- Member, Subcommittee on Securities, Insurance, and Investment
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs
Rounds sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Rounds’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2378: Access Business Credit Act of 2018
- S. 2335: GO Act
- S. 1962: Community Bank Access to Capital Act of 2017
- S. 1921: FSA Loan Guarantee Enhancement Act of 2017
- S. 1794: HONEST Act
- S. 1789: Department of Defense Transition Assistance Program Oversight Improvement Act of 2017
- S. 1765: Department of Defense Depot Maintenance Best Practices Act of 2017
|Rounds’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.J.Res. 123: Making further continuing appropriations for fiscal year 2018, and for other purposes.
Dec 7, 2017. Joint Resolution Passed 81/14.
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
H.R. 644: Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015
Feb 11, 2016. Conference Report Agreed to 75/20.
This bill became the vehicle for the passage of the Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015, which includes a variety of requirements on trade protection and general trade policy. It would authorize and fund United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP), an agency ...
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
From Jan 2015 to Apr 2018, Rounds missed 16 of 906 roll call votes, which is 1.8%. This is on par with the median of 1.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: