Read our 2017 Report Card for Thompson.
Thompson is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Thompson has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Mike Thompson sits on the following committees:
Thompson was the primary sponsor of 13 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 2254: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2635 Napa Street in Vallejo, California, as the “Janet Capello Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 3327: Jack Alderson Toxic Exposure Declassification Act
- H.R. 5106 (113th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 100 Admiral Callaghan Lane in Vallejo, California, as the “Philmore Graham Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 3004 (112th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 260 California Drive in Yountville, California, as the “Private First Class Alejandro R. Ruiz Post ...
- H.R. 6387 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 337 West Clark Street in Eureka, California, as the “Sam Sacco Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 6237 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1351 2nd Street in Napa, California, as the “Tom Kongsgaard Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 2429 (110th): To amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to provide an exception to the 60-day limit on Medicare reciprocal billing arrangements between two physicians during the ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Thompson sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (28%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (19%) Education (12%) Armed Forces and National Security (12%) Health (9%) Crime and Law Enforcement (9%) Commerce (7%) Government Operations and Politics (5%)
Some of Thompson’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5588: To direct the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to seek to enter into an ...
- H.Res. 761: Supporting the goals and ideals of National Women’s History Month.
- H.R. 4489: Authorizing Critical Conservation and Enabling Sportsmen and Sportswomen Act
- H.R. 4459: Charitable Conservation Easement Program Integrity Act of 2017
- H.R. 4240: Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act of 2017
- H.R. 4208: Wildland Fires Act of 2017
- H.R. 4148: Small Business Disaster Relief Act of 2017
|Thompson’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1039: Probation Officer Protection Act of 2017
May 19, 2017. Passed 229/177.
H.R. 1039 amends the federal criminal code to authorize a probation officer to arrest a person, without warrant, if there is probable cause to believe that person forcibly assaulted or obstructed a probation officer while performing their official duties. The bill also would direct the ...
H.R. 1695: Register of Copyrights Selection and Accountability Act of 2017
Apr 26, 2017. Passed 378/48.
This bill would change the appointment process for the head of the U.S. Copyright Office, known as the Register of Copyrights. Currently the Register of Copyrights is hired by the Librarian of Congress (who is the head of the Library of Congress). This bill would ...
S. 612: A bill to designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 1300 Victoria Street in Laredo, Texas, as the “George P. Kazen Federal Building ...
Dec 8, 2016. Passed 360/61.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 5771 (113th): Tax Increase Prevention Act of 2014
Dec 3, 2014. Passed 378/46.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 1765 (113th): Reducing Flight Delays Act of 2013
Apr 26, 2013. Passed 361/41.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
S. 3325 (110th): Prioritizing Resources and Organization for Intellectual Property Act of 2008
Sep 28, 2008. Passed 381/41.
From Jan 1999 to Jun 2018, Thompson missed 195 of 13,299 roll call votes, which is 1.5%. This is better than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: