Deal was the representative for Georgia’s 9th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2007 to 2010.
He was previously the representative for Georgia’s 10th congressional district as a Republican from 2003 to 2006; and the representative for Georgia’s 9th congressional district as most recently a Republican (1995-2002) and previously a Democrat (1993-1995) from 1993 to 2002.
Alleged misconduct & resolution
In 2010 Deal was investigated for improper influence over state officials to his financial benefit and failure to accurately disclose his earnings. The House Office of Congressional Ethics recommended further review. Deal subsequently resigned.
|Feb. 5, 2010||House Office of Congressional Ethics recommended that the Committee on Standards of Official Conduct further review the allegations|
|Mar. 21, 2010||Deal resigned.|
Deal is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Deal sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 4, 2005 to Dec 21, 2010. See full analysis methodology.
Deal was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6847 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 801 Industrial Boulevard in Ellijay, Georgia, as the “First Lieutenant Noah Harris Ellijay Post Office ...
- H.R. 3532 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 5815 McLeod Street in Lula, Georgia, as the “Private Johnathon Millican Lula Post Office”.
- H.R. 3936 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 116 Helen Highway in Cleveland, Georgia, as the “Sgt. Jason Harkins Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 5574 (109th): Children’s Hospital GME Support Reauthorization Act of 2006
- H.R. 3971 (109th): QI, TMA, and Abstinence Programs Extension and Hurricane Katrina Unemployment Relief Act of 2005
- H.R. 2389 (106th): Secure Rural Schools and Community Self-Determination Act of 2000
- H.R. 2140 (106th): To improve protection and management of the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area in the State of Georgia.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Deal sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Deal’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4336 (111th): Fiscal Responsibility Act of 2009
- H.R. 4018 (111th): Additional health insurance options for unemployed Americans Act of 2009
- H.R. 4019 (111th): To amend the Public Health Service Act to limit preexisting condition exclusions ...
- H.R. 3823 (111th): Medicaid and SCHIP Beneficiary Choice Improvement Act of 2009
- H.R. 3824 (111th): Expanded Health Insurance Options Act of 2009
- H.R. 3821 (111th): Improved Employee Access to Health Insurance Act of 2009
- H.R. 3822 (111th): To permit employers to provide contributions and assistance to certain employees who ...
From Jan 1993 to Mar 2010, Deal missed 676 of 11,329 roll call votes, which is 6.0%. This is much worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Mar 2010. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: