Deal, a Republican, was the representative for Georgia’s 9th congressional district from 2007 to 2010.
In 2010 Deal was investigated for improper influence over state officials to his financial benefit and failure to accurately disclose his earnings. The House Office of Congressional Ethics recommended further review. Deal subsequently resigned.
Deal is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Deal sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Deal was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6847 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 801 Industrial Boulevard in Ellijay, Georgia, as the “First Lieutenant Noah Harris Ellijay Post Office ...
- H.R. 3532 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 5815 McLeod Street in Lula, Georgia, as the “Private Johnathon Millican Lula Post Office”.
- H.R. 3936 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 116 Helen Highway in Cleveland, Georgia, as the “Sgt. Jason Harkins Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 5574 (109th): Children’s Hospital GME Support Reauthorization Act of 2006
- H.R. 3971 (109th): QI, TMA, and Abstinence Programs Extension and Hurricane Katrina Unemployment Relief Act of 2005
- H.R. 2389 (106th): Secure Rural Schools and Community Self-Determination Act of 2000
- H.R. 2140 (106th): To improve protection and management of the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area in the State of Georgia.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Deal sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Deal’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4336 (111th): Fiscal Responsibility Act of 2009
- H.R. 4018 (111th): Additional health insurance options for unemployed Americans Act of 2009
- H.R. 4019 (111th): To amend the Public Health Service Act to limit preexisting condition exclusions ...
- H.R. 3823 (111th): Medicaid and SCHIP Beneficiary Choice Improvement Act of 2009
- H.R. 3824 (111th): Expanded Health Insurance Options Act of 2009
- H.R. 3821 (111th): Improved Employee Access to Health Insurance Act of 2009
- H.R. 3822 (111th): To permit employers to provide contributions and assistance to certain employees who ...
|Deal’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1752 (111th): To provide that the usual day for paying salaries in or under the House of Representatives may ...
Jul 30, 2009. Failed 282/144.
H.R. 2638 (110th): Consolidated Security, Disaster Assistance, and Continuing Appropriations Act, 2009
Sep 24, 2008. Passed 370/58.
H.Res. 1284 (110th): Providing for consideration of the Senate amendments to the House amendments to the Senate amendment to the ...
Jun 19, 2008. Passed 342/83.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 1993 to Mar 2010, Deal missed 676 of 11,329 roll call votes, which is 6.0%. This is much worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Mar 2010. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: