Smith, a Republican, was the representative for Michigan’s 7th congressional district from 1993 to 2004.
Smith is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2004 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Smith sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Smith was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2608 (108th): National Earthquake Hazards Reduction Program Reauthorization Act of 2004
- H.R. 4664 (107th): National Science Foundation Authorization Act of 2002
- H.R. 1914 (107th): Farmer Bankruptcy bill
- H.R. 256 (107th): Farmer Bankruptcy bill
- H.R. 1550 (106th): Fire Administration Authorization Act of 2000
- H.R. 5372 (106th): Dairy Market Enhancement Act of 2000
- H.R. 808 (106th): Chapter 12 Farm Bankruptcy bill
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Smith sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Economics and Public Finance (16%) Government Operations and Politics (16%) Agriculture and Food (15%) Science, Technology, Communications (12%) Finance and Financial Sector (11%) Law (11%) Commerce (10%) Families (9%)
Some of Smith’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5195 (108th): To permanently reenact chapter 12 of title 11 of the United States ...
- H.Con.Res. 474 (108th): Expressing the sense of Congress that the Federal Government should not give ...
- H.R. 4767 (108th): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to triple the amount ...
- H.R. 4651 (108th): To establish a Federal interagency task force to promote the benefits, safety, ...
- H.R. 4165 (108th): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide tax incentives ...
- H.R. 4074 (108th): To amend section 1105 of title 31, United States Code, to require ...
- H.R. 4075 (108th): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to increase the amount ...
From Jan 1993 to Dec 2004, Smith missed 300 of 7,080 roll call votes, which is 4.2%. This is worse than the median of 2.9% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2004. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: