Shumway was the representative for California’s 14th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1979 to 1990.
Shumway is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1990 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Shumway sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Shumway was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.J.Res. 137 (100th): A joint resolution designating the Month of May as “National Asparagus Month”.
- H.R. 2067 (99th): Railroad Right-of-Way Conveyance Validation Act of 1985
- H.R. 2475 (97th): An act to modify a withdrawal of certain lands in Mono County, California, to facilitate an exchange for certain other lands in Mono County, California, and for ...
- H.R. 618 (97th): A bill to convey certain interests in public lands to the city of Angels, California.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Shumway sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Water Resources Development (19%) Private Legislation (19%) Immigration (14%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (12%) International Affairs (10%) Environmental Protection (10%) Arts, Culture, Religion (10%) Labor and Employment (7%)
Some of Shumway’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5524 (101st): To suspend temporarily the duty on canned corned mutton.
- H.R. 4438 (101st): To reauthorize and amend the Coastal Zone Management Act of 1972.
- H.R. 4414 (101st): To validate conveyances of certain lands in the State of California that ...
- H.R. 3393 (101st): For the relief of Brian Hildebrand.
- H.R. 2619 (101st): To extend the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission License No. 2761 for construction ...
- H.R. 2429 (101st): Auburn Dam Completion Act of 1989
- H.R. 2266 (101st): To authorize the coveyance of the addition to the Lassen Memorial Hospital ...
From Jan 1979 to Oct 1990, Shumway missed 241 of 5,727 roll call votes, which is 4.2%. This is on par with the median of 4.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1990. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills