Read our 2017 Report Card for Velázquez.
Velázquez is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Velázquez has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Nydia Velázquez sits on the following committees:
- Ranking Member, House Committee on Small Business
- House Committee on Financial Services
- House Committee on Natural Resources
Velázquez was the primary sponsor of 13 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 4463: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 6 Doyers Street in New York, New York, as the “Mabel Lee Memorial Post Office”.
- H.R. 3294: HUBZone Unification and Business Stability Act of 2017
- H.R. 1366: U.S. Territories Investor Protection Act of 2017
- H.R. 1915: To amend the Small Business Act to provide the Administrator of the Small Business Administration authority to increase amount for general business loans, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 1640: To amend the Small Business Act to ensure uniformity in procurement terminology, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 208 (114th): RISE After Disaster Act of 2015
- H.R. 5849 (111th): To provide for an additional temporary extension of programs under the Small Business Act and the Small Business Investment Act of 1958, and for other purposes.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Velázquez sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Commerce (34%) Finance and Financial Sector (12%) Health (10%) Education (9%) Government Operations and Politics (9%) Taxation (9%) Housing and Community Development (9%) Crime and Law Enforcement (9%)
Some of Velázquez’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7063: Liver Illness Visibility, Education, and Research Act of 2018
- H.R. 6925: Sexual Harassment Awareness and Prevention Act of 2018
- H.R. 6869: Violence Against Women Veterans Act
- H.R. 6827: United States Territorial Relief Act of 2018
- H.R. 6826: ASCEND Act of 2018
- H.R. 6631: Ban Nerve Agents In Our Food Act of 2018
- H.R. 6363: Protecting Immigrant Communities from Consumer Fraud Act of 2018
|Velázquez’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.J.Res. 43: Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the final rule submitted by Secretary of Health and Human Services relating ...
Feb 16, 2017. Passed 230/188.
Joe Biden never got the opportunity to break a single 50-50 Senate tie in eight years as vice president. Mike Pence has already broken two. One from last month has since become law: a measure allowing states to withhold federal Planned Parenthood funding. (The other ...
H.R. 4127: Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016
Dec 1, 2015. Passed 364/58.
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 1731: National Cybersecurity Protection Advancement Act of 2015
Apr 23, 2015. Passed 355/63.
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.R. 4681 (113th): Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2015
Dec 10, 2014. Passed 325/100.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant legislative change to the U.S. patent system since the ...
From Jan 1993 to Nov 2018, Velázquez missed 692 of 17,085 roll call votes, which is 4.1%. This is worse than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: