Read our 2016 Report Card for Velázquez.
Our unique analysis of the bills Velázquez has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into her position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Velázquez is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Nydia Velázquez sits on the following committees:
Velázquez was the primary sponsor of 8 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 208 (114th): RISE After Disaster Act of 2015
- H.R. 5849 (111th): To provide for an additional temporary extension of programs under the Small Business Act and the Small Business Investment Act of 1958, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 4508 (111th): To provide for an additional temporary extension of programs under the Small Business Act and the Small Business Investment Act of 1958, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 3614 (111th): To provide for an additional temporary extension of programs under the Small Business Act and the Small Business Investment Act of 1958, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 1541 (111th): To provide for an additional temporary extension of programs under the Small Business Act and the Small Business Investment Act of 1958, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 3206 (110th): To provide for an additional temporary extension of programs under the Small Business Act and the Small Business Investment Act of 1958 through December 15, 2007, and ...
- H.R. 774 (106th): Women’s Business Center Amendments Act of 1999
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Velázquez sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Commerce (26%) Housing and Community Development (17%) Finance and Financial Sector (17%) Health (14%) Government Operations and Politics (10%) Transportation and Public Works (7%) Taxation (5%) Crime and Law Enforcement (5%)
Some of Velázquez’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2073: To amend section 287 of the Immigration and Nationality Act to prohibit immigration ...
- H.R. 1915: To amend the Small Business Act to provide the Administrator of the Small ...
- H.R. 1878: To prohibit any hiring freeze from affecting the Small Business Administration.
- H.R. 1774: Developing the Next Generation of Small Businesses Act of 2017
- H.R. 1716: To prohibit any hiring freeze from affecting the Environmental Protection Agency.
- H.R. 1640: To amend the Small Business Act to ensure uniformity in procurement terminology, and ...
- H.R. 1561: To prohibit any hiring freeze from affecting the National Institutes of Health and ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Velázquez’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.R. 4681 (113th): Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2015
Dec 10, 2014. Passed 325/100.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Jan 1993 to Apr 2017, Velázquez missed 675 of 16,176 roll call votes, which is 4.2%. This is worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 27 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: