Pickett, a Democrat, was the representative for Virginia’s 2nd congressional district from 1987 to 2000.
Pickett is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2000 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Pickett sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Pickett sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (22%) Economics and Public Finance (18%) Armed Forces and National Security (14%) Law (11%) Labor and Employment (11%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (9%) Commerce (8%) Taxation (8%)
Some of Pickett’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 1047 (106th): To authorize the Secretary of Transportation to issue a certificate of documentation ...
- H.R. 1014 (106th): Employee Educational Assistance Act of 1999
- H.Con.Res. 41 (106th): To express the sense of the Congress that the Bureau of Labor ...
- H.J.Res. 36 (106th): Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to restrict ...
- H.R. 648 (106th): Military Retired Pay Restoration Act of 1999
- H.R. 4669 (105th): Military Retired Pay Restoration Act of 1998
- H.R. 3972 (105th): To amend the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act to prohibit the Secretary ...
From Jan 1987 to Dec 2000, Pickett missed 234 of 7,638 roll call votes, which is 3.1%. This is on par with the median of 3.0% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2000. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Congressional Pictorial Directory for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills