Our unique analysis of the bills Mitchell sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 1986. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Mitchell is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Mitchell was the primary sponsor of 11 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 1010 (99th): A bill for the relief of Audrey O. Lewis and Emerson B. Vereen.
- H.R. 3608 (99th): A bill to amend the Small Business Investment Act of 1958.
- H.R. 5298 (98th): White House Conference on Small Business Authorization Act
- H.R. 4013 (98th): A bill to extend the Small Business Development Center program administered by the SBA until January 1, 1985.
- H.R. 4828 (97th): A bill to set aside certain surplus vessels for use in the provision of health and other humanitarian services to developing countries.
- H.R. 2145 (96th): An Act for the relief of Florette Ivoree Gayle and Keisha Dajaran Karr.
- H.R. 4998 (96th): An act to authorize automatic transfer accounts at commercial banks, remote service units at Federal savings and loan associations, and share draft accounts at Federal credit unions ...
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Mitchell sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Mitchell’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5677 (99th): A bill to extend through fiscal year 1988 SBA Pilot Programs under ...
- H.J.Res. 696 (99th): A joint resolution to designate the week beginning November 9, 1986, as ...
- H.R. 5296 (99th): A bill for the relief of Egya Quaison-Sackey.
- H.R. 5019 (99th): Corporation for Small Business Investment Charter Act
- H.R. 4679 (99th): Community Development Block Grant Improvement Act of 1986
- H.R. 4632 (99th): A bill to clarify and expand the functions of the Associate Administrator ...
- H.R. 4112 (99th): A bill to provide for equity in the establishment of patent fees.
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 1971 to Oct 1986, Mitchell missed 943 of 8,422 roll call votes, which is 11.2%. This is worse than the median of 6.2% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1986. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills