Mitchell was the representative for Maryland’s 7th congressional district as a Democrat. He served from 1971 to 1986.
Mitchell is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1986 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Mitchell sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 5, 1981 to Oct 18, 1986. See full analysis methodology.
Mitchell was the primary sponsor of 13 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 1010 (99th): A bill for the relief of Audrey O. Lewis and Emerson B. Vereen.
- H.R. 5677 (99th): A bill to extend through fiscal year 1988 SBA Pilot Programs under section 8 of the Small Business Act.
- H.R. 3608 (99th): A bill to amend the Small Business Investment Act of 1958.
- H.R. 5298 (98th): White House Conference on Small Business Authorization Act
- H.R. 4013 (98th): A bill to extend the Small Business Development Center program administered by the SBA until January 1, 1985.
- H.R. 4828 (97th): A bill to set aside certain surplus vessels for use in the provision of health and other humanitarian services to developing countries.
- H.R. 2145 (96th): An Act for the relief of Florette Ivoree Gayle and Keisha Dajaran Karr.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Mitchell sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Mitchell’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5677 (99th): A bill to extend through fiscal year 1988 SBA Pilot Programs under ...
- H.J.Res. 696 (99th): A joint resolution to designate the week beginning November 9, 1986, as ...
- H.R. 5296 (99th): A bill for the relief of Egya Quaison-Sackey.
- H.R. 5019 (99th): Corporation for Small Business Investment Charter Act
- H.R. 4679 (99th): Community Development Block Grant Improvement Act of 1986
- H.R. 4632 (99th): A bill to clarify and expand the functions of the Associate Administrator ...
- H.R. 4112 (99th): A bill to provide for equity in the establishment of patent fees.
From Jan 1971 to Oct 1986, Mitchell missed 943 of 8,422 roll call votes, which is 11.2%. This is worse than the median of 6.2% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1986. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills