Kennedy, a Democrat, was the representative for Rhode Island’s 1st congressional district from 1995 to 2010.
Kennedy is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Kennedy sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Kennedy was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1424 (110th): Paul Wellstone Mental Health and Addiction Equity Act of 2007
- H.R. 1367 (110th): Paul Wellstone Mental Health and Addiction Equity Act of 2007
- H.R. 3942 (108th): To redesignate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 7 Commercial Boulevard in Middletown, Rhode Island, as the “Rhode Island Veterans Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 669 (107th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 127 Social Street in Woonsocket, Rhode Island, as the “Alphonse F. Auclair Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 670 (107th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 7 Commercial Street in Newport, Rhode Island, as the “Bruce F. Cotta Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 3253 (106th): John H. Chafee Coastal Barrier Resources System Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Kennedy sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (32%) Government Operations and Politics (13%) Science, Technology, Communications (13%) Economics and Public Finance (11%) Labor and Employment (10%) Families (8%) Social Welfare (7%) Education (6%)
Some of Kennedy’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5466 (111th): SAMHSA Modernization Act of 2010
- H.R. 5440 (111th): Genomics and Personalized Medicine Act of 2010
- H.R. 5392 (111th): Council on Integration of Health Care Education Act of 2010
- H.R. 5331 (111th): To revise the boundaries of John H. Chaffee Coastal Barrier Resources System ...
- H.Res. 1355 (111th): Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives regarding the human rights ...
- H.R. 5246 (111th): Child Welfare Workforce Study Act
- H.R. 5080 (111th): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide unemployment benefits ...
|Kennedy’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
H.R. 65 (110th): Lumbee Recognition Act
Jun 7, 2007. Passed 256/128.
H.Res. 465 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 65) to provide for the recognition of the Lumbee Tribe ...
Jun 7, 2007. Passed 214/193.
From Jan 1995 to Dec 2010, Kennedy missed 770 of 10,703 roll call votes, which is 7.2%. This is much worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2010. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: