Our unique analysis of the bills Kennedy sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Kennedy is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Kennedy was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1424 (110th): Paul Wellstone Mental Health and Addiction Equity Act of 2007
- H.R. 3942 (108th): To redesignate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 7 Commercial Boulevard in Middletown, Rhode Island, as the “Rhode Island Veterans Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 669 (107th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 127 Social Street in Woonsocket, Rhode Island, as the “Alphonse F. Auclair Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 670 (107th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 7 Commercial Street in Newport, Rhode Island, as the “Bruce F. Cotta Post Office Building”.
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Kennedy sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (32%) Government Operations and Politics (13%) Science, Technology, Communications (13%) Economics and Public Finance (11%) Labor and Employment (10%) Families (8%) Social Welfare (7%) Education (6%)
Some of Kennedy’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5466 (111th): SAMHSA Modernization Act of 2010
- H.R. 5440 (111th): Genomics and Personalized Medicine Act of 2010
- H.R. 5392 (111th): Council on Integration of Health Care Education Act of 2010
- H.R. 5331 (111th): To revise the boundaries of John H. Chaffee Coastal Barrier Resources System ...
- H.Res. 1355 (111th): Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives regarding the human rights ...
- H.R. 5246 (111th): Child Welfare Workforce Study Act
- H.R. 5080 (111th): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide unemployment benefits ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 1995 to Dec 2010, Kennedy missed 770 of 10,703 roll call votes, which is 7.2%. This is much worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2010. ProPublica has tracked 48 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: