Kennedy was the representative for Rhode Island’s 1st congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1995 to 2010.
Kennedy is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Kennedy sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 4, 2005 to Dec 21, 2010. See full analysis methodology.
Kennedy was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1367 (110th): Paul Wellstone Mental Health and Addiction Equity Act of 2007
- H.R. 3942 (108th): To redesignate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 7 Commercial Boulevard in Middletown, Rhode Island, as the “Rhode Island Veterans Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 669 (107th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 127 Social Street in Woonsocket, Rhode Island, as the “Alphonse F. Auclair Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 670 (107th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 7 Commercial Street in Newport, Rhode Island, as the “Bruce F. Cotta Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 3253 (106th): John H. Chafee Coastal Barrier Resources System Act
Does 5 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Kennedy sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (32%) Government Operations and Politics (13%) Science, Technology, Communications (13%) Economics and Public Finance (11%) Labor and Employment (10%) Families (8%) Social Welfare (7%) Education (6%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Kennedy recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.R. 5466 (111th): SAMHSA Modernization Act of 2010
- H.R. 5440 (111th): Genomics and Personalized Medicine Act of 2010
- H.R. 5392 (111th): Council on Integration of Health Care Education Act of 2010
- H.R. 5331 (111th): To revise the boundaries of John H. Chaffee Coastal Barrier Resources System …
- H.Res. 1355 (111th): Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives regarding the human rights …
- H.R. 5246 (111th): Child Welfare Workforce Study Act
- H.R. 5080 (111th): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide unemployment benefits …
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 1995 to Dec 2010, Kennedy missed 770 of 10,703 roll call votes, which is 7.2%. This is much worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2010. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: