McHenry is the representative for North Carolina’s 10th congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 4, 2005. McHenry is next up for reelection in 2020 and serves until Jan 3, 2021.
Make sure you are registered to vote and that you vote by mail, early, or know your polling location — see vote.org for help.
Read our 2019 Report Card for McHenry.
McHenry is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills McHenry has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Oct 16, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Patrick McHenry sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Financial Services Ranking Member
McHenry was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1839 (114th): Reforming Access for Investments in Startup Enterprises Act of 2015 or the RAISE Act of 2015
- H.R. 2949 (114th): Treatment of Certain Payments in Eugenics Compensation Act
- H.R. 5585 (109th): Financial Netting Improvements Act of 2006
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
McHenry sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of McHenry’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 8280: Gig Worker Equity Compensation Act
- H.R. 7840: Blue Ridge National Heritage Area Reauthorization Act of 2020
- H.R. 7841: The American PPE Supply Chain Integrity Act
- H.R. 7017: Right to Test Act
- H.R. 6562: SAVERS Act
- H.R. 6254: Gig Economy Infrastructure Act
- H.R. 6252: Relief for Small Businesses Through Micro-Offerings Act of 2020
From Jan 2005 to Oct 2020, McHenry missed 342 of 11,009 roll call votes, which is 3.1%. This is on par with the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: