Toomey is the junior senator from Pennsylvania and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 5, 2011. Toomey is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
He was previously the representative for Pennsylvania’s 15th congressional district as a Republican from 1999 to 2004.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Toomey.
Toomey is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Toomey has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jun 16, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Patrick “Pat” Toomey sits on the following committees:
Toomey was the primary sponsor of 18 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 3989 (116th): United States Semiquincentennial Commission Amendments Act of 2020
- S. 134 (116th): Combat Online Predators Act
- S. 3798 (116th): Hong Kong Autonomy Act
- S. 479 (116th): PACT Act
- S. 2905 (115th): Strengthening Partnerships to Prevent Opioid Abuse Act of 2018
- S. 831 (115th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 120 West Pike Street in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, as the “Police Officer Scott Bashioum ...
- S. 305 (115th): Vietnam War Veterans Recognition Act of 2017
Does 18 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Toomey sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Toomey’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 1721: Eric’s Law
- S. 1575: IMPROVE Addiction Care Act
- S. 1597: Lifesaving Gear for Police Act
- S. 1595: Thin Blue Line Act
- S. 1166: ALIGN Act
- S. 408: Supporting Best Practices for Healthy Moms Act
- S.Res. 33: A resolution supporting the contributions of Catholic schools.
From Jan 2011 to Jun 2021, Toomey missed 147 of 3,204 roll call votes, which is 4.6%. This is much worse than the median of 1.6% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: