Read our 2019 Report Card for Toomey.
Toomey is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Toomey has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Nov 18, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Patrick “Pat” Toomey sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Securities, Insurance, and Investment subcommittee Chair
Senate Committee on Finance
- Health Care subcommittee Chair
- Senate Committee on the Budget
Toomey was the primary sponsor of 16 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 3798: Hong Kong Autonomy Act
- S. 479: PACT Act
- S. 2905 (115th): Strengthening Partnerships to Prevent Opioid Abuse Act of 2018
- S. 831 (115th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 120 West Pike Street in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, as the “Police Officer Scott Bashioum ...
- S. 305 (115th): Vietnam War Veterans Recognition Act of 2017
- S. 231 (114th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 523 East Railroad Street in Knox, Pennsylvania, as the “Specialist Ross A. McGinnis ...
- S. 238 (114th): Eric Williams Correctional Officer Protection Act of 2015
Does 16 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Toomey sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Toomey’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 4879: Fairness for Crime Victims Act of 2020
- S. 4820: Long-Term Care Affordability Act
- S. 4788: Protect Parent Organized Direction of Students Act
- S. 4702: IMPROVE Addiction Care Act
- S. 4497: Stop PPE Taxes Act of 2020
- S.Res. 663: A resolution supporting mask-wearing as an important measure to limit the spread of ...
- S. 4135: HEAL Act
From Jan 2011 to Nov 2020, Toomey missed 129 of 2,910 roll call votes, which is 4.4%. This is much worse than the median of 1.8% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: